Loading lever question on Rep. 1861 Navy .36 Colt

Sulaco2

I attended the local gun show and all though I have shot and loaded .50 cal rifles in the past, for the first time I picked up a cap and ball revolver .36 Navy. Still looking for powder and shot, (can't sell powder at the show). My question is the loading lever, when swung through its arc it will only travel to the half way point or at 90 degrees down from the line of the barrel. The ram engages the hole but does not go very far in. Enough to seat a round ball on top of a 19-25 grain power charge (?) or is there something hanging it up and it (the lever) should go farther. The slot the lever rides in goes farther towards the front of the cylinder but the lever stops again at 90 degrees. I had though that as its a short barrel model 4" it might be they way it was designed to function. Any comments?

Noz

That ought to work. You will need to make sure it gets a little compression on your powder charge. May have to use a felt wad to get there.

Fingers McGee

90 degrees is what they're designed to go to. 20 gr fffg, lubed wad and roundball compresses just fine and is what I use in mine.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The plunger only needs to enter the chamber far enough to fully seat the bullet. That usually is when the loading lever is at about a 90 degree angle to the barrel.

Jim

kflach

Just as a general principal I recommend Wonder Wads between the powder and the ball. They'll reduce your risk of chain fires and help lube the barrel as they exit the gun (making it a bit easier to clean).