Loading Lead: Nitrile Gloves?

Dodge DeBoulet

I've only been shooting regularly since September, and up until the middle of December only FMJ in my two S&W M&Ps (.40 S&W, FS and Compact).

Because I was going through so much ammo on the weekends, I invested in a reloading setup. For the last 2-3 weeks, I have been reloading using cast lead bullets from S&S Casting.

After doing some reading on the chemicals used in gun cleaning solvents, I've started wearing nitrile gloves while cleaning my guns, but hadn't given any thought to the handling of lead while reloading, other than to wash my hands thoroughly when I'm done (my left index finger and thumb are usually pretty dirty from the lead and lube and require a fair amount of scrubbing to get back to their usual soft, pale, computer-jockey complexion).

What's the verdict on gloves while reloading lead? Is it practical, given the dexterity requirements for case and bullet handling on a progressive press (Hornady LnL AP) without a case or bullet feeder?

GP100man

DD

your fine washin hands after handlin lead .Most lead is absorbed while shootin in poorly ventalated indoor ranges.

I`ve cast, smelted & shot outdoors over 1/2 of my life & my last blood heavy metals test was negative & the one rule I follow is washing my hands before drinkin or eatin.

I`ve shot very little in indoor ranges, but the 1s I have theres a slight breeze at my back .

Been thinkin , my biggest exposure is pouring the brass & media from the tumbler to the seperator , always a little dust when pourin but i try to do it qwikly & stay out of it .

Last edited:

Mal H

Staff
GP100man is right. You aren't going to absorb enough lead to be detectable just from handling it. Lead poison is almost always the result of ingesting or inhaling atomized lead. That's why primers using lead styphnate are more dangerous in that respect. They can put a cloud of elemental lead in the air for all to breath if the ventilation isn't proper.

Ignoring the primer, handling and shooting lead will rarely if ever raise your lead blood level to any harmful degree assuming you always wash your hands after handling or shooting it.

On the other hand, if you shoot a lot of lead over a fairly short period of time (e.g., thousands of rounds a month), the risk is obviously higher. In that case a few precautions are in order such as a face mask or improved indoor ventilation, etc. Taking vitamin C is usually a good idea if you shoot a lot of lead. It tends to bind (chelate) the free lead into a far less toxic molecule that is more easily eliminated from the body.

NCMountain

As a precaution after we qualify, we use nitrile gloves to pick up brass off the range. It certainly does not hurt to take any precaution you can. On the flip side I never use gloves to clean a gun.....go figure. I may start now since you mention it.:D

wncchester

"my left index finger and thumb are usually pretty dirty from the lead and lube and require a fair amount of scrubbing "

So long as you don't lick your fingers clean you will be fine.

Dodge DeBoulet

All of my shooting so far is outside, but I have been picking up all the brass I can find. I'll start bringing nitrile gloves to the range for "brass recovery," given the lead styphnate concern.

And as far as reloading is concerned, I guess I'll continue to do it the way I've been doing it, being mindful of proper post-reload hygiene.

Since I started reloading (December 17, '09), I've built approximately 1400 rounds. I've fired something like 1000 of them so far . . . the rate will drop though once my staycation is over :D

irishman001

I have started using gloves while reloading just to save time with not having to scrub my hands to get them clean. I can take them off wash lightly and I'm good to go.

Peter M. Eick

Last year I got a bit concerned over all of this talk about lead and reloading and in the back of my mind I was not sure if I "did enough". I don't use gloves, I just don't eat at the press and wash up carefully when I am done. I am a reasonable shooter, who does about 1000 rounds minimum a month outdoors.

So, I got my blood lead checked. I was actually low compared to the norms for society.

Since then, I just continue my normal procedure and don't worry about it.

Consider getting it checked if you are worried about it. Not that expensive but boy they took a lot of blood to do it.