Loading lead bullets

Rob96

I plan to start loading for my Guide Gun using Laser Cast lead bullets. Do I need to use a certain bullet seating die or can I use the die that comes in Lee Pacesetter set?

Sam06

The Lee Bullet seating Die should work just fine. Be sure to crimp them good as they will be shot in a Lever action. The Lee FCD is a good die to do this with. But I would think the Lee Pacesetter die has a good crimp function built into it.

glicerin

Does your die set have an expanding-flaring die. Lead will be shaved from the lead bullet, making a mess and causing inaccuracy without this step. Lacking a flaring tool, you could make do with a tapered pin punch of proper size to give a slight flare. Good luck

longranger

The provided expander in most die sets are for jacketed bullets,RCBS Legacy dies have expanders that are suitable for cast bullets, still not the best choice.
Go to Buffalo Arms.com and purchase a custom expander.I use a .458-.462 expander.This will cover most if not all the various sizes of ".458" cast bullets.Expand the cases just enough to seat the bullet by hand to the first grease groove.Lever guns need a crimp unless hand fed one at a time, I have found that setting the bullet seating die up to not crimp, just seat the bullet to desired depth and crimp as a separate operation.You will have less problems and better accuracy with this method.

Last edited: