Loading Info for 7.62X39

OLD SF MJT

I've searched the this forum hoping to find some fairly current information on reloading the 7.62X39 round but haven't had a lot of success. So, i'm 'going looking.'

I have a .50 cal ammo can full of Lapua brass & I need some good recipes for reloading them. Especially now that fodder in this caliber is getting near-impossible to lay your hands on. I'll be mostly shooting it out of an AR built up in that caliber...a Model 1 Sales kit gun built up on a RRA lower. (She's the sweetest little thing you've seen lately & will put 5 rounds into an inch at 100 yds. with the Lapua factory ammo!) Also, I'd like any information on sources for .310-.311 bullets...Maybe a little hollow point number that'll feed reliably (my AR chokes on soft points) as well as function reliably out at the 'other end.'

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old SF

Hornady makes 123 grain .310 bullets. They recommend (for the SKS) H4198, with a starting load of just 17.2 grains, running up to a max of 25.7 grains. That powder is excellent for accuracy and covers the widest velocity range they list. AA2015 does also, with a starting load of 21.5 grains and a maximum of 28.5 grains. It may meter beter through a measure than 4198, but I don't know its accuracy reputation? Ball powders are harder to light up consistently and you may need to deburr the flashholes if the Lapua brass has any burrs?

Nick

steve4102

As unclenick stated H4198 is a good place to start. AA 2015 is also a very good choice. Both are fine extruded powders and will meter about the same. R-7, another fine extruded powder, is also one of my favorites in this caliber, works well with both the lighter and heavier bullets.

If ball powders are more up your alley, my favorite for accuracy is AA2230 with 125gr Sierra's. For the heavier 150gr bullets my favorite ball powder is Ramshot X-Terminator.

I have been experimenting with R-10x and H322 with the 150gr bullets and both show a lot of promise, both in the accuracy and velocity dept.

OLD SF MJT

Many Thanks

Gents,
Many thanks for all the info. I'll soon be putting it to good use. I especially appreciate the insights on things like accuracy potential or ease of metering. I have a couple hundred of the Hornady bullets on order!

If anyone else out there has anything else good, I'd still like to hear about it.

Again, thanks to all.
Old SF:)

Poodleshooter

It sounds like you have a good rifle for reloading in this caliber. Sadly I don't,so I rarely reload it.
AA1680 or the generic substitute WC680 are good powder choices. WC680 is exceedingly cheap at about 8 bucks a pound from gibrass.com. Data from Accurate Arms can be used,provided you start 10% low and work up as usual.
That combined with domestic bullets should make for good quality,yet inexpensive ammunition.

Oops

Steve is right; 2015 is extruded. I was thinking of 2520. My old can of 4198 is IMR, which is the older long grains. H4198 is a short grain like the 2015, so I think Steve is right that the metering will be about the same. See which shoots best in your gun?

Nick