Loading for the M6 scout 22 Hornet

Grizz12

I just picked up a Scout in 22 hornet and would like some feedback if any of you have loaded for one. Such as bullet weight, powders, CAOL and any other stuff I cant remember right now.

The scout has an 18" barrel but I dont know the twist rate. Maybe someone has loaded for a similar length 22 hornet?

44 AMP

Staff
Not for a similar length, but on both sides. I have a Ruger No.3 (22") and a Contender (10").

First off, loading for the Hornet isn't quite like other cases, the brass is about paper thin at the case mouth, and care is required. Expect to lose a few cases especially in the beginning. I recommend a generous chamfer of the case mouth, and very carefully starting the bullet and seating SLOWLY, so you can feel if something goes wrong. NOT a good round to load on a progressive, unless you like buying brass.

The Hornet does its best work with bullets 50gr, and under. Its not a magnum, don't try to make it one.

Loading for a single shot, COAL isn't critical, as long as you stay off the lands.

Plenty of data in the manuals, the Hornet has been around a long time. DO pay attention to "hornet bullets", pre WWII Hornets often had .223" barrels, and bullets in both .223" and .224" are out there, still.

I expect your M6 will be a .224" bore. I have no idea what kind of accuracy to expect, sometimes they can surprise you, but it isn't built to be a target gun.

Careful loading can get you up to 2600fps with a 50gr out of a 22". From an 18", probably 100-150fps less, or so. I've had good luck with the old Winchester 45gr HP, don't know if its still available.

I use small rifle primers, and 2400, other powders work too, and some guns shoot better with some powders than others, so if you aren't getting the accuracy you want with one, try another.

Good Luck

ruger357w

I no longer have one but I use to run 40gr v-maxes with small pistol primers and hodgdon lil-gun powder. Worked pretty good. My rifle was a ruger.

jmorris

The 35 and 40 grain v-max bullets work well in 22 hornet with 13 +\- grains of lilgun. Pretty much anything would work for an M6 though. I couldn't call mine a "tack driver" unless I used the stock to beat them in.

joneb

I dont know the twist rate.
Pretty easy to figure out, a patch on a cleaning rod and tape measure and felt marker can give you the barrel's twist rate.
I load the 22 Hornet for a 22" 1:9 twist H&R handi rifle, the best brass I have found for this cartridge is Hornady and Prvi Partizan.
For flat base bullets I apply a slight bell to the case mouth using a Hornady neck size die for 308 Win. the expander plug is teardrop shaped. Seating is a non issue with boat tails.
For my rifle I load 35-50gr bullets, with 300 MP, LIL-gun and Accurate 1680.