Loading for a 45 auto

iblong

I have been loading for my rifles and revolvers,I just bought a 1911 and want to load lswc.Im thinking 200 gr.I also have 8lbs.unique that Id like to burn up before buying something else.has anyone been using this powder with decent results,also how much crimp is needed with the lswc.Ive never loaded for a semi auto so any input load and component wise would be a big help.
Thanks,Bob.

schmeky

iblong,

I put a slight taper crimp on all my .45 ACP loads. This ensures no bullet set back when the round hits the feed ramp and helps ensure a smooth feed. A crimp is not necessary, but I am from the "some or a lot of crimp" school of reloading.

For revolvers, I use a heavier crimp to prevent bullet movement under recoil and to provide consistent ignition.

whiplash

Unique is just fine to use. If you dont like it, you could always send that 8lbs. to me:D...As far as crimp goes....I have always read and used a light crimp that measures .470 at the mouth...

kraigwy

Generally the 45 does'nt need any crimp. All factory ammo has no crimp at all. Even the mil stuff has no crimp.

That isnt quite true, 45s have and need a crimp. Not a roll crimp but a taper crimp.

The 45 headspaces on the mouth, not the rim, one should use a taper crimp to keep the bullet from moving either in chambering or under recoil.

Also a crimp helps combustion.

WESHOOT2

easy, but ALWAYS wear yer safety glasses

Start load: 5.0g Unique. This will be 'slow'. My data shows a range from 5.0g up to 7.5g.

Size all cases.

Prime with CCI300 or WLP.

Test first with an OAL of 1.250". Can go to 1.270", or as short as 1.220". It will be based on your specific gun.

Crimp case mouth to .468--.470" (case neck tension is what secures the bullet from setback, but some crimp enhances feed reliability, and may aid combustion).

Seat the bullet with one die, then crimp with another (LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die).

brickeyee

If you are relying on crimp to prevent setback the case has not been sized correctly.

Crimp (even in revolvers) is secondary to the case grip on the bullet.

For .45 ACP remove the flare.

Japle

With a 200 gr LSWC, anywhere from 5.0 to 7.2 gr of Unique will work, depending on recoil spring weight and some other factors.

There are better and cleaner powders for .45ACP than Unique, but it's an old standard for good reasons. If I had 8 lbs, I'd shoot it up!!

You need just enough taper crimp to straighten the case mouth, plus 1/1000" or two. Just remove the flair from the expander die.

When I get my taper crimp set up where I think it should be, I crimp a bullet and then pull it. This way if I am crimping it too heavily I will see that the bullet will have swaging marks from the case. This can deteriorate accuracy. After a while you get the feel for it.....but like the guys stated above, just wanna take the excess flare outta the mouth.

Zombie Steve

I use this load for all of my target shooting. Works great.
I'm not in front of my data as to powder charge, but you'll likely figure out what your gun likes anyway.

And yes, taper crimp to remove any case flare. Don't over do it. Good luck!

TEDDY

45 acp

I shot compitition with a 45acp and loaded with 200 gr LSWC and roll crimped on first band 1/2 way.
factory are jacket so they dont crimp.all the target shooters I knew crimped.
taper crimp was a new way after WW2 maybe in the early 70s.

Yuppers on what Teddy said. You go back to the '60's issues of the American Rifleman (back when it was still a technical publication in many areas) and you will see a lot of experimentation was done on the H&G 68 style LSWC's and loads roll-crimped with about 0.020" of the bullet bearing surface sticking out were generally agreed to be most accurate. With lubricated lead bullets you want some crimp for the reason Kraig stated. Without is it's too easy for recoil to push those slippery round into the case, which raises pressures dramatically in a very short distance. A taper crimp is much gentler on a case, but I've heard several folks mention the old roll crimp increased start pressure consistency enough that it still shoots better, especially at 50 yards. I haven't made a study of that, but I know the taper crimp is still accurate if you seat the bullets out to headspace on the bullet, and I've gotten over 50 reloads out of cases crimped that way and firing target level loads. A roll crimp will split case mouths sooner than that.

COL varies with bullet nose shape. You see truncated cone shapes seated as short as 1.160" in some manuals. I still prefer headspacing on the bullet as a gauge. In addition to superior accuracy, I've had one other member PM me to say that when he adopted this practice his barrel leading virtually ceased. A bullet seated out far enough for the gun to headspace on it will cause a round dropped in the barrel chamber to look like the third barrel from the left in the image below.

45seatingpossibilitiesx.jpg