Loading for 45-70?

I have a new toy.
Finally completed my test LayAway from Buds. ( that all went good BTW)
Rossi Wizard in 45-70

I had also picked a LEE single cavity mold for these nice 450 gr butt whoopers.

What kind of loads are you guys using.
Faster Pistol powders like Unique or faster Rifle Powers Like RL-7, ect.

I was thinking of maybe trying some 5744, just because I have some.

100_9680_zpsb5930f47.jpg

100_9682_zpsb70d97b4.jpg

Kosh75287

I haven't done much of it, but I think at one time or another, almost every powder from Unique to Varget has been used to reload .45-70. I don't recall much in the way of data, but I'm sure it's on the net somewhere. Just make sure you check what you find on the net against a good reloading manual (or three).

Clark

Start out with like 10 gr of Unique and work up.
The 45/70 can kick so hard you may never shoot it again.

Thanks.
The only ones I have shot so far are Rem Factory loads.
They kicked like a baby....:D

I suppose they are loaded down for Black Powder guns.

Cant wait!!!!!

Barnacle Brad

5744 is what I have on hand for smokeless "goverment" loads. 25gr with a card wad on top is the recipe I use for trapdoor and rolling block rifles, with 405-500gr bullets.

Barnacle Brad

Card wads are specified for cast lead to protect the base of the bullet from gas cutting. Reduced leading and improved accuracy result.

mehavey

Card wads are for full-case blackpowder only.
Do NOT put a card wad on top of smokeless.

In specific case:
AA5744 is one of those powders which is *relatively" position insensitive.**

In general case:
If powder position is sensitive, use a very small/fluffy piece of real kapok.
Better yet, use a starch packing peanut.

** Even 5744 benefits, however
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533432

schmellba99

I use Varget for mine, though I couldn't tell you what the load is offhand. They shoot just fine out of my Marlin 1895 and my Pedersoli Sharps. I typically push the 350 grain JHP's out of the lever, and 405 cas lead FP or HP's out of the Sharps.

NoSecondBest

Card wads are specified for cast lead to protect the base of the bullet from gas cutting. Reduced leading and improved accuracy result.

A little confusion here. I've been shooting 45-70s for quite a while now and other than using black powder, card wads are not necessary. In fact, using card wads with smokeless powder can ring your barrel. Nothing is required in the case other than the powder. Lyman's loading manual used to suggest using a .5g piece of dacron fiber but the newest manual eliminated any and all references to using any material in the case. Too many people not doing it right and causing damage. I still use dacron fiber with some powders but not with most. As far as powder goes, 5744 is an excellent powder to use with cast as well as 2400, Unique, and 4759 (if you can find it, it's been discontinued). The single biggest thing you need to do with cast is slug your barrel and use a cast bullet at least .001 larger than bore diameter. Anything smaller will give you leading and poor accuracy. I suggest you visit castboolits.com where there are thousands of members who are dedicated to using cast bullets and love to offer advice garnered over many, many years of shooting these types of bullets. None of my 45-70s kick very hard. I keep the velocities around the original specs and at 1300fps, the 400g bullets are a pleasure to shoot. They also group very well. Good luck with your new gun and have fun shooting it.

totaldla

It depends on what you want to with it. 5744 is a very good powder - so are all that yhe fast rifle powders. I like H4198 the best and I run 405gr @1800fps

Ummmm WOW!!!
Not the same gun with my hand loads compared to Remington Factory loads.
Loaded up some of the cast bullets you see above.
Shot as cast lubed with this new Alox method.

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum99/35602.html

Ahead of 26.5 gr 5744.

Pretty simple dimple way to shoot.
This thing shoots great!! With these.
I had to lower the sights then hit two touching and one off about 1.5 inches at 100 yards.
Kicks like a mule.
Because these were start loads for the trap door in Lyman book.
Not going any higher.
They must be putting fluff corn loads in the Remington stuff.

I will compare these when it warms up and I can get the chrony out.