loading 44 mag bullets backwards

hawken50

i have a few 300grn Hornady XTP's (jhp) that i don't have a use for. i can't get them to group anywhere close to the 240grn load i worked up, so i'm thinking about trying to load them backwards. not for any good reason, i don't expect them to shoot accuratly, i just want to play. see what they do to stacks of magazines, watermelons and such.

sooo, my questions are, is this safe? do i use standard load data (i'll be using win 296)? should i only load them to 44spl specs or are 44mag specs safe? anything i'm missing or should consider before trying this???

thanks for any help.

amamnn

I knew a guy who used to do experiments like that. He used a heavy gun vise and pulled the trigger with a string from behind a tipped over bench. We all used to go elswhere when he was at the range. One day he just failed to show up and we never heard of him again.

918v

Go for it. I think you would have one hell of a wadcutter. Work-up the load, however, watching for pressure signs ;)

hawken50

I knew a guy who used to do experiments like that. He used a heavy gun vise and pulled the trigger with a string from behind a tipped over bench. We all used to go elswhere when he was at the range. One day he just failed to show up and we never heard of him again.

are you trying to tell me this is unsafe? if so, wouldn't it be better to come right out and say it?

Mal H

Staff
What 918v said (especially the work-up part).

Quite a few experienced reloaders will purposely load bullets backwards for the wadcutter effect with no ill effects. The pressure will be extremely high on what is normally the front of the bullet, but it will be equally high. I seriously doubt that an hp will open up due to it. Besides if it does - so what? Where will the open end "flaps" go anyway? They will press against the lands and grooves just like the rest of the bullet until it exits the barrel.

Pay close attention to the amount of bearing surface the bullet has inside the case. You could easily have too much and make an unsafe condition. Also, pay equal attention to the space taken up by the tip of the bullet. You will be decreasing the cavity space which could/will lead to higher pressures with less than max loads. So, to repeat, work up the load watching for high pressure signs.

[Added a minute later]
I just re-read your post. W296 is a very poor choice for your experiments. That powder acts strangely with loads that are well below max. In fact, some reloaders don't consider W296 to have a min/max range, it's either max or use a different powder. Bottom line - I wouldn't advise doing what your thinking of doing with W296. Maybe Unique or 2400 instead.

Crosshair

I heard that people years ago would take 30-06 ball ammo, pull the bullet, and put it back in backwards for a crude soft point. That or file off the tips.

hawken50

I just re-read your post. W296 is a very poor choice for your experiments. That powder acts strangely with loads that are well below max. In fact, some reloaders don't consider W296 to have a min/max range, it's either max or use a different powder. Bottom line - I wouldn't advise doing what your thinking of doing with W296. Maybe Unique or 2400 instead.

roger that. i had the w296 left over, i went to 2400 for my 44 mag loads. i jut wanted to use it up. but i'm sure can find something else to pack it into. thanks!

Edward429451

I loaded some 44's backwards a while back with no ill effects. It's a short range affair because they'll start tumbling somewhere between 25 & 50 yds.

Rimrod

Check the overall length of the round loaded backwards compared to what it is loaded normal. If they are the same or longer start with the lightest loads and work up. If they are shorter be careful because this may increase your pressure. I agree 296 may not be a good choice.