Loader for 5.45x39

dontcatchmany

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 R. This is 5.45x39.

Great rifle imho, but I have finally beat my fingers to pieces loading the mags:D so I am looking for an auto/speed loader that will work.

My research leaves me a bit unsure if any of the products will work on my magazines.

I have the original magazine(s) and additional magazines that I got from C-products several years ago....all the magazines (9) work very well.

I have come across Maglula AK 47/Galil loader and Cammenga loader but they say the will work for most 5.45.

The "most" part concernes me as when I see videos of their demonstration, the demo magazines seem to have a small protrusion on the magazine that the loader is set up to clip on to.

My magazines do not have that protrusion and I am unsure if the Maglula or the Cammenga would would work.

Any of you folks have any experience with the magazine loader(s) for 5.45x39?

I just might order the Maglula any way as it is only about 24 bucks.

Thanks in advance!

badger2tony

AR-15?

I'm assuming that your rifle is of the AR-15 configuration. I have one as well. A LULA loader for the AR should work, same magazines anyway. I've been trying straight, black follower AR-15 magazines with success.

I've only used the AR LULA unload AR mags, never to load. My handgun LULA works really well for loading.

An AK-47 type magazine loader probably won't work with an AR mag.

Hope that is helpful, Tony :confused:

Mobuck

The standard (AR 223) mag lula won't work for 5.45. I tried last week and no-go because the lula doesn't push the previous round down far enough to allow the next round to clear the mag lips. I did some tweeking and was able to make an AK74 spoon and strippers work but not well and likely not worth the effort or cost. If I was totally determined to have a working system, I think I could TIG-weld an AK74 stripper guide end onto the mag end of an AR stripper spoon(guide) and have a working part.

dontcatchmany

Thanks for all your help!

Got the LULA ak-47/Galil loader today.

Tried it on a mag for my S&W M&P 15 R 5.45x39.

Not perfect but is a sight better than total hand loading....will save my fingers and thumbs.