Load for 460 rowland

akinswi

I picked up a clarks custom 1911 460 Rowland conversion kit. I also ordered couple hundred starline 460 Rowland cases.

I found some load data here, due to none of my reloading books had any info on the 460 Rowland

http://www.realguns.com/loads/460Rowland.htm

I used this specific load

Hornady HP/XTP 230 .451" 1.245" 17.8 AA #7 15.0 Fed 150

I dropped the powder charge down to 13.5 grains of AA #7 (10 percent reduction and also i made the COL 1.255

any thoughts on this load. I used Remington Large Pistol primers and not the Fed aswell

Also this was going in my Colt Gold Cup 80 series but the barrel needed to be fitted. So I dropped the Kit in my Springfield Armory Range Officer, it dropped right in no fitting. Using the 24lb spring as well

Clark

Prior to May 2000 there were 3 sources of data:
1)a) AA on 460 Rowland
1) b) 460 Rowland showing the same data
2) Clark Custom guns [no relation] 460 Rowland data for S&W 25-2 conversions to 460 Rowland
3) Realguns showing independently worked up 45 Super data

At that time I worked up 460 Rowland data and sent it to Realguns.
Joe at Realguns some time later worked up his own 460 Rowland data.

The original 460 Rowland data that I copied back in May 2000 is:

Hornady 230 gr XTP 1.250" 15.8 gr AA#7, 5" barrel 1349 fps 39,500 c.u.p.

So it looks like your loads are hotter than the old published loads.

Those are the facts.
I could start spewing opinions on 460 Rowland brass, the AA 2000 load book, the quality of AA powder, and my calculation of the strength of an S&W 25-2 cylinder wall.

Sevens

I don't have my load in front of me to share but subscribing to this thread will remind me to add it later. What is relevant even without my load is that I elected to use 185gr Precision Delta JHP's and I found right away that Magnum primers were a very good idea because my regular CCI-300 were just getting mauled -- to the point where bits of them were cratering so much and breaking free and ending up in my firing pin channel... not what you want!

I was running a Clark kit in a Remington R1.

.460 Rowland in a 1911 is a heap of power in an absolutely controllable package and a WHOLE LOT of fun!

Clark

Bongo Boy
What's 17.8?
That is the realguns data.
Joe put a strain gauge on his Ruger #1 45/70, but I don't think he has a Copper crusher or piezo transducer set up for 460R.

460 Rowland pressure tested loads are halfway between 45 Super and loose primer pockets... if you are going by the brass.

akinswi

I used 13.5 grains of AA#7 no pressure issues, I did have issues with some rounds not feeding correctly, They acted like they were getting hung up in the magazine, and the slide just stayed locked back had to release the slide these were with some magtech 230 fmj's. I had the same issues with the xtp's as well. I ordered some extra power mag springs from wolff see if that corrects the issue. No failures to eject or stove pipes I just think weak mag springs. I really don't like loading them shorter than 1.250. I also use a slight factory crimp, I don't know if anybody else does that with the 460 Rowland

akinswi

Just an update, after using 11lb extra power mag springs everything function normally no jams/malfunctions.

13.5 grains of AA#7 powder, u Magtech 230grn FMJ RN projectiles, COL was 1.267 and used remington large pistol primers.

I did order some longshot powder so interested in working up a load for that.

Also interested any Hardcast loads out there as well