Load development, using a target scope?

taylorce1

Sometimes I think my scopes hurt me a little when I'm developing a load for my rifles. Just wondering how many people out there build a load with a different scope and then switch to the one that they will use on their rifle for whatever. I usually like regular or heavy duplex for my riflesl and tend to keep the power range around 9X or less.

I've been thinking hard about picking up a target scope with either a fine or target dot cross hairs. Sometimes I think my other scopes cover up too much of the target to help me get the best groups I possibly can. This really doesn't affect my hunting rifles but I'm kind of dissapointed in my varmint and small bore rifles that I feel could just do better.

I've been looking at the Weaver T Series or the Leupold fixed power target scopes. Thinking a 12 or 24X power would be the way to go. I do want it to handle recoil as well because I might just get a wild hair and try it out for my larger bore rifles just for fun. Heaviest recoiling rifle I have at the moment is a .375 Ruger.

Thanks!

arizona98tj

I was kicking around the same idea just yesterday.

I've got a new M&P15 that currently has a 1-4x scope on it. While this is the scope I intend to use on it, I'm pretty sure that I'm not doing the rifle justice while testing loadings at 100 yards. Yes, I can see the target just fine....but detecting a quarter or half inch position at just 4 power is throwing my shots off a bit....I'm pretty sure.

I don't see this problem when working up loads for another of my .223 rifles that has a 4-12x scope on it.

I've got a unmounted Burris 4.5-14x optic sitting on the shelf. I think it is going to go on the M&P for a bit until I'm done with the load workup.

afp

That is a very sound idea, and more power in a scope when developing loads certainly can make the groups smaller. However, I am a little lazy and have very limited time so I usually stick with the scope I'll be hunting with unless I suspect there is something wrong with the scope.

I have shot near a 1/4" with a 6X scope, and just last weekend shot under .2" with an 8 power scope. Those are not the norm, but they key is getting all the movement out before you pull the trigger. That way you can "shoot inside" your sights or scope.

alloy

That is the big question, I did it for one rifle cause I had no choice, but despise the thought. My iron sighting is slowly deteriorating after it's initial more rapid demise a few years ago.

taylorce1

Most of my rifles are in QRW rings anyway, so picking up a target scope and slaping it on wouldn't be hard. I've just got a few loads I feel could be doing a little better than what they are. I'll kick the idea around for a bit more that is for sure.