Load development for the 280 AI

MarkCO

A post from another thread reminded me that I told a few folks here I'd update them on the .280AI, but then life happened and I forgot. Condensed refresher is that I had been a big fan of the .280AI, but no longer owned one. So when Bergara offered it in their barreled action, I ordered one. After a long time, over a year, and confirmation from Bergara that there were none to be had and none would be made, I called Brownells and cancelled my order and went back on search mode. Eventually, I found a barreled Defiance in .280 AI on GB and bought it (for a great price). I had a KRG stock and TriggerTech Diamond already. Dropped it in and got a Burris XTR3 and Hawkins Hybrid rings on the way. It languished most of last year and this while I had, recovered from and then tried to get caught up from neck surgery (replaced two discs in my neck, damaged during my roaring 20s).

Well, last week, it finally came out and I got the rings, then scope mounted. Took it to the range and shot 10 rounds of 280 Rem through it to get some data for the chamber, etc. I shot at a 6" piece of steel at 330 yards after 3 sighter shots to zero at 100, and went 7 for 7 with a group on the left side that made me smile. I'll do some more load development in July. The brown dog don't care, the black dog really seems to like it. :D

Attachments

• 280AI reduced.jpg
    280AI reduced.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 42

taylorce1

Nice rifle, but I can't like it. I'm a diehard .270 Win camp fan. Hopefully, your recovery is going well and your pai is relieved.

stagpanther

Too bad about the begara--I was really looking forward to your reports. Nice looking rig; I'm sure you'll get some great results. I have a couple of KRG bravo stocks and like them a lot--but I just scored my first MDT XRS and whoa Nelly, like it even better!;)

MarkCO

taylorce1...I can like .270 and .280. :)

stagpanther, I saw your post, I might have to get one of those. :)

taylorce1

I just know what I like, I've tried more than a few 7mm rifles. I just kept grabbing the .270 over everything else. Had the 7mm RM, .280 Rem, and 7-08 at least two times each, and messed with the .280 GNR once. I wouldn't mind playing with a 7-30 in a single shot, I think that could he a fun rifle.

MarkCO

I just know what I like, I've tried more than a few 7mm rifles. I just kept grabbing the .270 over everything else. Had the 7mm RM, .280 Rem, and 7-08 at least two times each, and messed with the .280 GNR once. I wouldn't mind playing with a 7-30 in a single shot, I think that could he a fun rifle.
I sold my 7mm RM and 7mm-08. Recently wife's step dad gave me his Ruger #1 in 7mm Mag, so I have one again, which I will keep.

But the .280AI is a sweet spot.

My Dad's R700 .270Win I gave to the youngest son, which he uses for Elk hunting now.

I have 2 .277 Fury cases too. :)

taylorce1

MarkCO said:
I have 2 .277 Fury cases too.

I'm interested in that one as well. If I run across the Sig Cross in it, it might have to follow me home.

Taylorce1, how you 270 WSM? Does your wife know yet!

She knew the same day I bought it, and picked it up with me at the LGS. We have an open relationship when it comes to my rifles and her shoes.:D

I like the rifle as I'm a sucker for stainless M70's of the New Haven persuasion. It is a tad heavier than I like, and I need a diet plan for it. Unfortunately, ammo is tough to find, expensive when I do, and I haven't reloaded for it yet.

stagpanther

I have a M70 in 270 WSM also--I had to buy factory ammo at first to get brass but found the factory stuff from winnie actually shot very well, so that got me started. In the meantime I monitored availability of brass, it's a daily chore of "checking the usual suspects" but it does periodically hit the market. Also, with the introduction of the PRC and 6.8 western that should take a lot of pressure off the WSM demand as some believe these will kill off the WSM.

PS--mine is a heck of a throat roaster, keep an eye out for that.

Last edited: