Load Data - .45 auto Rim for Converted Webley

JED1177

I know....I know, the liability thing makes everyones skin crawl, but............

I have a .455 Webley converted to .45 acp. I want to load up some LIGHT loads that will not damamge the old girl. I have already decided not to shoot modern, standard velocity ammo. I prefer Auto Rims to the clips.

Any reliable info out there on what I'm looking for? Best bullet weight, size, powder, etc.

There have to be many of you out there that have one of these fine old warhorses.

jh9x18ky

I would look at a reloading manual, choose a lead bullet, and use the starting load measurements for a load that shows to be of lower pressure.For example, Modern Relaoding, Second Ed., Richard Lee, pg 664 45AR 200gr lead bullet...

4.6 Unique
3.6 Red Dot
3.9 Green Dot
3.6 Bullseye
3.6 Amer-Select
at 1.19 OAL are all under 9525 CUP
But, as with any reloading formula, its your gun, your decision.

44 AMP

Staff
Not as strong as many, but not as fragile as claimed

The Webley Mk VI will handle a limited amount of .45ACP standard loads. If you gun is in good condition. I shoot mine with 230gr LRN, at about GI ball speeds (800fps), and have had no problems. I do not, however shoot it much. 100rnds/year is average for me, so I cannot say how many rounds the gun will take.

I have heard from others that GI .45 loadings are "too hot", but they give no trouvle in my gun. I will not go any hotter, though. NO JHP loads stoked up. Just not worth it.

The original .455 Webley load is pretty weak, and the gun is pretty large. Exceeding the Webley loading by a little bit normally doesn't hurt anything.

4.6 Unique
3.6 Red Dot
3.9 Green Dot
3.6 Bullseye
These loads are ALL below the starting loads for the .45AR listed in the old Speer #9 reloading manual, and ought to be quite safe, just be certain you don't get a double charge!
DSCF0266.jpg

I rather like mine, the trick is finding a load that will shoot to the sights.

JED1177

jh9x18ky and 44 amp

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Been out of reloading for awhile and I appreciate the advice. They are grand old guns.

Webleymkv

44 Amps load is at the upper end of what I would shoot regularly in a Webley (the higher velocity is offset somewhat by the use of a bullet lighter than what was standard for Webley ammo). I would suggest using Remington 250grn LRN bullets because they are the correct size (.455) for a Webley's bore (most .45 caliber bullets run from .451-.454 and may only give mediocre accuracy in a Webley) and because their 250grn weight is closer to the Webley's 262grn standard which will bring your point of impact closer to your point of aim (230grn bullet will likely shoot low). Here's a link to the bullet I'm talking about

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=446981&t=11082005

As far as loading data, this one looks pretty close to the original Webley cartridge velocity. It is listed with a 255grn bullet but the substitution of a 250grn will only cause lower pressure and possibly slightly higher velocity.

http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45%20ACP&Weight=255&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

DFrame

Go simple. Use the starting loads in any reputable loading manual and you will have no problems at all. Good shooting.