Load data 30-378 wby mag

308Loader

Any one have load data for a 30-378 wby mag using h50bmg, wlrm primers and hornady 208gr ELD bullets? hornady book has very limited info for this cartage. Is the ELD bullet even suited for this cartage? Do I need to use bonded bullets?

Thanks in advance for any info you all may have.

condor bravo

If you have the Lyman 49th manual, note that they use the 180 gr Swift Scirocco and 200 gr Swift A-Frame bullets. Potentially most accurate loads are with H50BMG powder loaded to the upper limits.

The_Jerkman

Might also want to invest in the 50th it just recently came out and I ordered myself a copy last week or so. Should have even better info

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

308Loader

So would the nosler data be ok to use with hornady bullets? seems like the 208gr ELD x should have a longer COL. Also looking at the data for 168gr HPBT, those bullets should be similar enough to use the nosler COL with a hornady bullet right? do you think I could call hornady and get data for their bullets?

T. O'Heir

Use the 200 grain data on Hodgdon's site. 8 grains won't make any difference. And you do not need bullet specific data.

condor bravo

Yes use the loading data from the Nosler or most any other manual showing a similar weight bullet. Nosler data shows H50BMG powder loadings with a 210 gr bullet. The new 50th edition Lyman manual shows upward to only 200 gr bullets. Overall cartridge length for all bullets in the various loading manuals is always the same, around 3.63 to 3.64. Note that by using the shorter 168 gr HPBT bullet, bullet hold within the neck, assisted by the boat tail design, will be less than with the heavier and longer bullets. But that may not be much of a concern as long as sufficient bullet length remains in the case neck.