LNL-AP and LNL Classic

LE-28

I have a question for all of you Hornady guys. I have a LNL-AP and if I bought a LNL Classic single stage, once the dies are in their bushings and set would the dies work the same in both presses for the same caliber without having to change any settings

What I'm asking is will the dies interchange between both presses to make the same ammo without changing any adjustments?

David Bachelder

No. there is a height difference between the two. i saw a video on youtube where a guy made a washer that he had to use on one of the two to negate the height difference.

Similar to the washer used to switch .38 special dies to .357 (rcbs).

he even mentioned the thickness, i don't remember what it was though.

noylj

Since I use a progressive for all my handguns and a single-stage for all my rifles, there has never been a reason to worry about such a thing.

LE-28

Thanks Dave and wwmkwood, that's what I wanted to know.

I thought if they shared the same frame height, thickness and ram stroke, it would be nice to just pop out a die from the AP and stick it in the SS to do some minor work on rejects or tune up your setup loads without having to reset the dies.
Guess that's a dead issue. To bad, I would think Hornady could have made a lot of money if the two presses were completely compatible that way. If I were building loading presses that take quick change bushings I would have made all of them compatible that way to protect my market share.

Just think, once the dies are set up, no more setting dies no matter which press you use.

Asking to much I guess.

thump_rrr

I know it's an extra expense but I use a Lee single stage and a Hornady progressive press.
I buy Hornady dies for the progressive and Lee dies for the single stage.
I like redundancy.