Llama handguns?

IM_Lugger

Anyone here owns a Llama pistol/revolver? I believe Comanche Revolvers are made by Llama…I know they’re pretty cheap… anyone know anything about their quality? Someone told me they are made of pot metal…is it true?

Super Comanche single shot .45colt/.410 looks kinds interesting IMO (I started a thread about it a little while ago but no one here seems to have one)…

doncameron

I've had 3 Llama's over the years...
Llama .380 mod III great little pistol, still have it
Llama .45 MAX-I good shooter, traded after about 20,000 rounds thru it.
Llama .45 Mini-maz....Kicked like a mule, sold it.

Bill DeShivs

Llama guns are made out of quality materials. Quality control on the later ones was hit-or-miss.
The Super Commanche .410 pistol has mothing to do with Llama. I believe it is made in Brazil.

IM_Lugger

The Super Commanche .410 pistol has mothing to do with Llama. I believe it is made in Brazil.
So who makes it than? :confused: do you know anything about the gun?

btw where are Llamas made?

Bill DeShivs

Llama was located in Eibar, Spain. They are out of business.
I believe Rexio makes the .410 pistol. It was made in .22 LR also. They are medium quality guns.

pistolet1

Most of the Llamas that I saw in the '70's and '80's seemed to have suffered the most in terms of fit and finish. Bluing appeared rather dull and poorly applied; plastic and wood stocks were likewise badly fitted and of lesser quality. I had a Llama Omni .45, and while the design was certainly innovative, it's overall quality and construction were not. The bluing from the gun was actually bleeding off of it, onto the foam material that was inside the case that the gun came in. The rear sight quickly became loose without any way of tightening it or restaking it back in place. The original magazines were poorly constructed and were probably responsible for most of the functioning problems with the gun. I later tried Colt magazines, and while functioning improved somewhat, it was still less than ideal because the Colt magazines were a very loose fit in the mag well. So I would have to say that Llamas would not get a vote of confidence from me to anyone thinking about buying one.

IM_Lugger

I was told Comanche revolvers were made by Llama...hmm

anyone know who makes these? they are sold by Firestorm SGS under the "Comanche" name...

comancheibig.jpg
comancheiii.jpeg
supercomanche.jpeg

Silentarmy

I had a Llama 1911 copy and it was such a Piece of **** that it took me 12 yrs to buy another 1911! I missed out on a lot of good shooting in that time because I did not own a 1911! I sold it and the next owner had it in the shop for months but says it works now! Stovepipe issues!

PzGren

During their last years of production, Llama must have used poor quality steel for their springs in their semi autos. I remember reading many complaints about the springs. The guns are definitely not made out of pot metal, though.

I would not consider spending a lot on one of their guns since aftermarket parts and parts for repair are kind of hard to come by.

44 AMP

Staff
Had a couple years ago

One was a 1911 style, with a small vent rib. It would reliably eject every other round. Later had a Commanche .357. Looked kind of like a S&W M19 crossed with a Colt Python. It would reliably fire 4 times out of six, and not the same 4 each time. I suppose if you get one that works, they ought to be an ok gun. Me, I never had one that worked right, so my opinion if Llamas is pretty low.

My wife has a poncho made from alpaca wool, and I think that is probably what llamas are best for. But be careful, horses don't like the smell!

pistolet1

You better believe it; I've got socks made out of llama wool and they are some of the warmest, toughest, and longest lasting socks I've ever owned. Couldn't say the same about my Llama Omni.

DannyAbear

IM Luger

I have a Super Comanche 45/410 that i just recently bought.
I did a lot of research before I did but theres not much info out there.
IMO it is a good design but cheaply made; I wouldn't call it junk, but about middle class as far as quality. The fit is very good, the chamber was kinda rough, so I polished it, Pachmacer ruber grips for a ruger SBH can be made to fit it and helps hold onto it with 3" 410 shells.
I only paid $145.00 for it so I wasn't expecting a high dollar gun. I got the nickle finish and it has a texture to it kinda looks more like SS than nickle plate. I actually ground some of the frame down to make the grips fit and did not go thru any plating; the handle part of it is some kind of casting and the nickle color is thru and thru.

I don'r recall the name of the manufacturer but they are made in Argentina; I did a search for 'pistols made in Argentina' and kept tracking it doen from there. There are only 2 pistol manufacters in Argentina, one of them is Bersa S.A., and the other one makes the comanche line.; from what i read somewhere at one time the were sold as REXIO brand.

It is a cheap pistol, but it fits a niche and is a hoot to shoot, I've only had mine about a month now but 2 of my friends ordered one too. Good gun for the boat to shoot snakes or whatever.

Forgot that i have it right here; stamped on the frame- RSA Ent, Inc.; Ocean, N>J>
Mfd be - Lasserre S.A. Avellaneda Argentina

Last edited:

IM_Lugger

DannyAbear, can you take any pics of it? I've only seen the crappy pics on the fireastorm website...

$145 for a nickel finsh is not bad where did you get it from?

how accurate is it btw?

Stevie-Ray

The old revolver Llamas from the 70s were quite good. I shot a fellow shooter's .357 back then and remember it to be superbly accurate and well made. As was said, though, I also remember the later 1911 types (I say "types" because most parts weren't interchangeable) were mostly junk.

Pilot

I have an older Llama .380 Mod III also that's a good little shooter. Its neat because it is a carbon copy of a 1911A1 only downsized. Mine is an older model that I bought used, but it doesn't have the locking breach like the earlier ones. It is a straight blowback and has quite as stiff recoil spring.