Live Ammo Disposal? Can't Just Shoot It.

ZeroJunk

I have a bunch of 44 Mag, 45LC, 300WBY, 300 WIN, 280, 30/06 , 22/250, etc, etc, etc. Most of it is reloads, some could be 25 years old. I don't remember what some of it is. I keep records in chronolgical order, but could have shot a few rounds out of some of it and then moved to something else.

I say this because in a search most of the responses on disposal say to shoot it. Well, I may not own the gun I originally loaded it for and I certainly don't want anybody else to shoot it.

So, if I soak it in kerosesne or diesel will it denature it for real? Seems like the primer and bullet would keep it out at least on some of the rounds. I can go out in the pasture and bury it three feet with a loader. Just trying to get an idea of how to dispose of it. Will be several hundred rounds.

wpcexpert

Do you have a bullet puller? It's another option if you've got reservations about burying them. Then you can sell or give away the brass.

Superhouse 15

Deactivation

I did a test soaking ammo, including reloads, in water, salt water, Hoppes #9, and WD40. Some of it for more than a month. The vast majority of the ammo fired, only a couple centerfire rounds out of dozens failed to fire. Most, but not all of the rimfire failed. Soaking ammo to deactivate it is a myth. I'd take it to a range/gunshop as a first choice. Maybe pull the bullets as a second choice.

kraigwy

Take to your local PD, they have EOD personnal who will dispose of it safely.
We did that all the time, no hassle.

Rescue2

Agree that delivering it to your local PD is a smart move.

They have the means to safely dispose of it, and you can gain kudos from them as a "responsible citizen" by leaving it in their hands.

That way, they know you wouldn't be inclined to simply pitch it into the trash.

Or try other potentially dangerous disposal methods that could put the general populace at risk.

LEO's like conscientious civilians...

Sevens

I would love to have it -- and would swear not to shoot it. (I'd never shoot anyone's unknown reloads)

As a dedicated reloader, I would break down the ammo and toss the powder, pop the primers, and reclaim the bullets and brass.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
I'm with Sevens on this one. An added bonus is that the powder makes excellent fertilizer!

Oh, and moving to the reloading forum.

CowTowner

Shipping Ammo

I think you need to package it in a box clearly marked as "ORM-D" and also "Small Arms Ammunition". It will require an added expense to ship. I'd check with UPS or FEDEX on shipping ammo. The U.S.P.S. won't carry it for you.

Found this at UPS.com:

Follow These Packing Requirements

* Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
* Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.
* Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

MrClean

I checked with all carriers a while back when I was going to sell off some 38's. USPS won't touch it, as already mentioned. I never COULD get a clear answer from FedEx. UPS said that you can ship ORM-D and it's fine with them if you don't actually have a HazMat certification officially allowing you to ship it, but.... they told me that DOT (I may have the wrong agency but I think they said DOT) deemed it illegal if you do not have a certification in HazMat shipping to ship any ammo. Do people do it they said?.... sure. All the time.

Knowing my luck I opted out of shipping. :) I would definitely call UPS and be positive. I could have gotten someone that wasn't as knowledgeable as they thought. I've encountered them before at UPS. lol

oneounceload

Pull the bullets, burn the powder outside somewhere safe, pop the primers, or just shoot the primers, recycle the brass and bullets

ZeroJunk

Well, I'd love to give it to Sevens. But, it is a potential liability best left alone I suppose. I'll do something with it.

Sport45

Where are you? Someone may want to come by and pick it up for the components. Everything is salvageable except for the powder and that is easy to get rid of.

BerettaFox

lol... throw it in a grill and throw the top on... run away. I know i'm the funniest person on the planet. just kidding unless you really want to do something stupid/dangerous/funny.

vranasaurus

I checked with all carriers a while back when I was going to sell off some 38's. USPS won't touch it, as already mentioned. I never COULD get a clear answer from FedEx. UPS said that you can ship ORM-D and it's fine with them if you don't actually have a HazMat certification officially allowing you to ship it, but.... they told me that DOT (I may have the wrong agency but I think they said DOT) deemed it illegal if you do not have a certification in HazMat shipping to ship any ammo. Do people do it they said?.... sure. All the time.

Knowing my luck I opted out of shipping. I would definitely call UPS and be positive. I could have gotten someone that wasn't as knowledgeable as they thought. I've encountered them before at UPS. lol

Loaded ammunition is not hazmat and you don't have to have any kind of certification to ship it.

I've shipped ammo with UPS before. I declared that it was ammo, and put the required markings (ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms) on the outside of the box.

No problem at all.