Live .32 ACP round in barrel of 1935 Beretta

Sid

I went to the range today to try out this pistol that I had bought recently. I was firing hand loads and everything was fine for the first 30 rounds. Then a round became stuck in the breech end of the barrel and I don't know how to remove it. It is stuck tight and will neither move forward and be seated nor can I extract it. I have been shooting .32 hand loads for many years out of my .32 pistols and this is the first time this has ever happened. I would appreciate advice on how to deal with this problem.

claymore1500

Just a guess, I would bet that the end of the case separated and left a small ring in the chamber, then when the next round was chambered it was hammered into the ring and got stuck.

That said, if you can get the barrel in the open (remove the slide) you should be able to push it out with a wooden dowel.

barnbwt

"live" bullet ;)

Try racking the slide forward as well as backward (rough on extractor, which may be worth avoiding in an old gun). Depending on how diassembly works, the barrel could be removed from the gun while carefully ensuring it points in a safe direction, and that there is no way for the firing pin to be struck or contact the primer. If all else fails, the round could be fired, but remember there is a reason the round is stuck. It could be a dirty chamber, it could be a dangerous situation where the bore is obstructed by a wedged bullet. I would not recommend trying to tap out the round from the muzzle with the gun assembled; the shock could knock a floating firing pin forward or release a slide catch, possibly delvering force to the primer. Wedging the action open with something like a piece of wood in front of the bolt face might be safe enough, though. DO NOT USE A WOOD DOWEL DOWN THE BARREL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. Brass or (very carefully) steel, only, closely fitted to the bore.

Good luck

TCB

Sid

Here are a couple things I forgot to mention. The pistol was completely cleaned before I fired it. The hammer is cocked and I cannot get the slide to lock back as I ordinarily do for disassembly. It is the same if the magazine is in or out of the frame. The safety is in the "safe" position and seems locked in place. Obviously I have not tried to move it for fear the gun might go off.

claymore1500

barnbwt--just curious---why not a wooden dowel?
Thanks!

Excessive force on a wooden dowel may cause it to split and wedge around the bullet causing a severely stuck rod, but in my experience with the condition described, the round should not take much force to "PUSH" back out if in fact the cause is as I am betting.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Remove the magazine. Set the safety to the rear position. Now use a small screwdriver to pry the extractor out so it will slip past the rim of the case, and pull the slide back. The safety should hold the slide to the rear.

Now use a wood block to tap the barrel backward, so it disengages from the frame. Be careful not to drive the barrel back too hard or let it fall as the primer might be struck.

With the barrel out, the chances of an accidental firing are minimized. You can now grip the barrel in a vise and use a metal rod to drive the live round back out of the chamber. Cushion the round on a towel or pad so the primer isn't struck hard in the process.

Jim

Guv

Gunsmith,

Better safe than sorry, I wouldn't even want to give someone advise on this problem. Be careful and let a pro take care of it.

skizzums

easily solved with a flathead screwdriver. I had the same problem when I first started casting and had an oversize lead bullet get stuck it the chamber. yeah, what he said, all you need to do is get the extractor over the rim and then you can just walk it out with the screwdriver or disassemble. obviously don't point it at the wife and kids.

willr

Before anything, be sure to put some highly penetrating oil in the barrel -- both ends if possible. CLP seems to be good too. It really does make moving the bullet or case easier.

willr

g.willikers

I had a rental gun do that at an indoor range.
Figuring it was the range's responsibility, I handed it over to one of the staff.
He took it, held the top of the slide against the bench, just under the front sight and above the barrel, and pushed real hard, with his full body weight.
The errant round popped right out.
I've been using that method ever since, when there were no tools, and it always has worked.
And there's the added benefit of getting to scare everyone around you. :)

James K

Member In Memoriam
The advice I gave was specific to the Beretta Model 35, as the best way to remove the barrel and live round from the firing mechanism and reduce the danger of the gun being fired accidentally.

There are other ways, of course, but I would be hesitant about toting around a gun with a live round in the chamber, even if I were taking it to a gunsmith.

Jim

skizzums

I have also just pushed my weight on the barrel under the sight. probably the quickest and easiest way, but it can scratch the gun

publius

I'm with James's and willr. Disassemble like James said and put the barrel in a padded vise muzzle up. Spray a generous amount of penetrating oil (kroil is best) and let it soak for a few hours while you go to the hardware store and get a brass rod that is slightly smaller than the bore diameter. Should knock out pretty easily.

Ibmikey

Sid, put the barrel in a vice, a rod down the barrel and pile all of these home remedies on top. The sheer weight of "expert info" should pop the bullet right out. :)

Woodslab

Also, using a steel rod of a good length will dead'n any energy from an accidental discharge and the energy will mostly go opposite direction. Which, that direction could be towards your boys.

Be careful.