Lionheart LH9

Skans

It has an aluminum frame. If it had a steel frame, I'd be interested in it. However, it does resemble my S&W 659. Based on the description, the trigger may be an improvement.

Fishbed77

Back to $615. I'd have bought at $423 for sure.

I think that's the main problem with the Lionheart pistols. At the $615 price point, they are competing with heavy hitters like the Glocks, Berettas, M&Ps, and XDs, not to mention superior pistols like the Walther PPQ or P99.

The $423 price tag makes a lot more sense, especially since Sarco is still selling DP-51s (the same pistol minus the ceracote finish and forward slide serrations) for under $300.

Kevin_d77

Curiosity got me. Always looking for something new and unique. Even though I really don't need another 9, I felt this was too good of a deal to pass. I'll let everyone know my opinions on it although I find it hard to think it will unseat my new fave (Sig 228) or be as fun to shoot as the Baby Eagle, but I could be mistaken.

PSP

The $423 price tag makes a lot more sense...

It isn't that I don't think the gun is worth the $600 price, I do, but I would have absolutely no excuse not to buy one at $400. I own two Daewoos. They are very well made. I'll get the newer model one of these days.

GLI45

Picked up a Lionheart this past summer. My wife saw them at the NRA convention and really liked it. Very solid gun, well made, and comfortable to shoot. Like many have said they are facing some stiff, well established competition in the $600-$700 price range. If anyone were to catch them on sale in the $450 price range again it's a great buy and more than worth purchasing one.

Jo6pak

American made version of the Daewoo DP51.

Now they just need to start making the Daewoo rifles stateside (wishful thinking, but not bloody likely:()

predecessor

American made version of the Daewoo DP51.

They (Lionheart pistols) are still made in Korea.

The question should not be why are these $600 pistols? (Look at the materials, fit, finish, and package that it comes in).

The better question is why is a Glock $550? If we're basing price solely on materials and the value of the complete package, the Lionheart pistol is probably priced right and the Glock should sell for $300 :p

RickB

Predecessor has it exactly right. A gun with forged steel slide and forged aluminum frame that costs $650 has people questioning the price point, but a gun with a $5 plastic frame that costs over $500 somehow seems a good deal? Glock's genius was in marketing, not engineering!

Kevin_d77

When it's all said and done, got mine for under $450 out the door. If I like it, great! If not, sell it or hold on to it for its unique action.

TunnelRat

Predecessor has it exactly right. A gun with forged steel slide and forged aluminum frame that costs $650 has people questioning the price point, but a gun with a $5 plastic frame that costs over $500 somehow seems a good deal? Glock's genius was in marketing, not engineering!

I think the issue is that they were previously sold in the US for significantly less money.

Jo6pak

They (Lionheart pistols) are still made in Korea.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought they were assembled her from Korean made parts. Is Lionheart simply the importer?

carguychris

I thought they were assembled her from Korean made parts. Is Lionheart simply the importer?
Nothing I can find on the website clearly states that Lionheart actually manufactures any part of the pistols, and the pistols pictured in the "Firearms" section all clearly display "S&T MOTIV - MADE IN KOREA" slide legends.

IMHO it's reasonable to conclude that Lionheart is solely an importer, but I can't say for certain.

Fishbed77

I think the issue is that they were previously sold in the US for significantly less money.

That and the fact that, at $650, they are priced above some well-established and high-quality DA/SA pistols like the Beretta 92FS (with alloy frame), various CZ offerings (with steel & polymer frames), and the Walther P99AS (which has a curiously similar trigger system -albeit striker-fired- to the Lionheart). I don't see anything the Lionheart offers over any of these pistols, and a few areas where it currently comes up short (viability of spare parts and accessory availability). A lower price point would give the Lionheart a better footing, and make it much more relevant.

Then of course, you have the established striker-fired polymer players like Glock, the M&P, and the XD pistols, which all cost $100 or more less than the Lionheart.

TunnelRat

That and the fact that, at $650, they are priced above some well-established and high-quality DA/SA pistols like the Beretta 92FS (with alloy frame), various CZ offerings (with steel & polymer frames), and the Walther P99AS (which has a curiously similar trigger system -albeit striker-fired- to the Lionheart). I don't see anything the Lionheart offers over any of these pistols, and a few areas where it currently comes up short (viability of spare parts and accessory availability). A lower price point would give the Lionheart a better footing, and make it much more relevant.

You're even in used SIG territory.

For $450 or less I might pick one up just to try it out.

armoredman

Daewoo DP51s had a good rep last time I was in the industry, but that was years ago. Good to see them make a comeback.

Kevin_d77

At 450 it was hard to say no. I have plenty of other options (strikers, DA/SA in poly, metal and aluminum) so why not try something new. They may just be the new CZ!