• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Links in messages

Jim V

Ok, I've seen several posts where there were links to other sites. How do I dodat? ;) I have a couple of sites that I think the membrs of this forum may like to visit but I want to make it as easy as possible. So, Great Leaders of this forum, help me!

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum

DHH

Is there a limit to the length of the link? I tried several times to link to the results of a site search and it didn't work. I didn't have any spaces and did read the faq.

DHH-
The url can be as long as you want. Sometimes a "link" doesn't work because it's really not a link.
For instance, the results of a search engine search may look like a "link". In fact, it's a coded algorithm that is dependant on certain variables that you entered in the search....at least this is how I believe it works.
When you see lots of "+","%" or "=" signs in a link, it's generally not a true url and will fail.
Rich

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Another problem with long links is that the UBB software doesn't adhere to its standard line length, it keeps the link in one line because of the lack of spaces, the result being that a very long link will expand the thread screen to the right, and we have to use the lateral scroll bar to read.
It pisses people off. So if the link is long is better to give the parent site link and directions to the specific portion of the site you wish us to see.

DHH

Rich and DC:
Thank you both for your explanations. I'm new on this site and appreciate the prompt help.

UBB Code will break the line once it reaches 140 charecters in length, causing some troubles.

Generally, if the URL is that long, you should either 1. Post directions to it, or 2. Learn HTML and post a "Click here" message.

But, and this is a big but, don't do HMTL if you aren't absolutely, positively, 120% sure it's right.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com