Limiting Ammo Purchases.

wingman

Just received notification that Midway had some Fiocchi 38GR Hp in stock when I placed order they limited to 1 -500 round brick( I planned on 2) with a shipping of $13+ not worth it to me, but my question is should mail order companies limit amounts and if they do what is fair.?

Pietro Beretta

Its a private company, they may do what they wish.

Maybe they have limited quantity and are doing this so more people have a chance to get the ammo.

Or should we contact our local congressmen and get some kind of bill/law put into place so they cant do this... /sarcasm off.
... err sorry for that:barf:

I work for a "mail order / E-commerce" website and we all have our own policy's. If you don't like the policy I'm afraid your going to have to shop somewhere else :(

wingman

I work for a "mail order / E-commerce" website and we all have our own policy's. If you don't like the policy I'm afraid your going to have to shop somewhere else

Thank you sir for your opinion and yes I do shop elsewhere if I disagree with
policy.;)

Whatcha gonna do when most other web businesses place similar limitations? Are you only buying ammo? If so, I can see the reason why they place limits...

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
My opinion, from two other threads on the subject:

Limiting quantities could only please the people who want LESS than the limit. The assumption that limiting the quantity will please more people than it angers depends entirely on there being more people who want LESS than the limit than there are who want MORE than the limit.

In order for a limit to have any substantial effect on the number of additional people able to make a purchase the limit would have to be very small. A very small limit increases the likelihood that there will be more people who want to buy MORE than the limit than people want less than the limit.

Besides that, there's the obvious by-pass employed by shoppers everywhere that simply have their wife and their brother and the co-worker go in and buy some until they get what they want. That process is just a pain in the butt for everyone involved, making 4 or 5 transactions instead of one. Not to mention making a customer who:
1)Still by-passed the limit.
2)Is mad that they had to go through all the trouble to do so.

It's a no win.

Limits are not good business, IMHO

The basic premise of the free market is that is is self correcting, and it is, the question is when. Limiting purchases only DELAYS the natural self correction of the market by extending the time it takes for the largest users to reach their desired level of consumption. Unlimited purchases allows for the large purchaser to reach their desired level and reduce demand on the market at a faster pace, restoring normal levels sooner than a limit would allow. It also artificially shields the producer of the product from the true demand, causing a delay in the recognition of increased consumption and the natural increase in production to off-set that demand.

rampage841512

Should they? No. But it is the business owner's choice. I think the arguements for limits are absurd, but that's beside the point.

What is fair? Fair is being able to buy all the ammo you want any time you walk into a store, open a webpage, etc. But life ain't fair, is it? What is a fair limit? There is no such thing.

spodwo

Unlimited purchases allows for the large purchaser to reach their desired level and reduce demand on the market at a faster pace, restoring normal levels sooner than a limit would allow.

In one sense but in the other - someone goes in and buys it all or a LOT making it scarce and resells it at twice the cost to "those that must have".

That is what was happening with the Walmart ammo. It wound up in local gun stores or people selling it at profit.

trex1310

Limits

Buy local and skip the shipping charges altogether. I've had no problem
finding ammo (except .380) and I got some of that last week.

wingman

My reply from Midway.

I am afraid we have put limits on several high demand items right now to give more shooters a chance to get enough supplies to keep them shooting thru this temporary shortage. We are having trouble keeping items on the shelves, particularly reloading components, anything that might be affected by another “assault weapons” ban and loaded ammo. I think this is due to a combination of factors, including wartime demand for munitions that are made on the same assembly lines as commercial ammunition, the meteoric rise in raw materials that have raised ammunition prices so high that there is an influx of new reloaders buying more reloading equipment than the factories projected and course the big reason, the last election that has a lot of shooters very concerned. The factories have all added additional shifts and are operating at capacity, but the demand does not seem to be slowing down. If everyone would just buy what they need, we could get thru these shortages quickly, but people are upset they can’t get ammo like they usually do, so they are making the problem worse by trying to stock up even more. Please accept my apology for the lack of stock, and I appreciate your patience as the supply lines catch up with demand. It is troubling to me that we are a nation of over 60 million gunowners, and 14 million hunters, yet membership in the NRA hovers around four million. Instead of panic buying in fear that politicians are going to infringe on our rights, we need to get our heads out of the sand and join the NRA. We need to use the political process to make our voices heard, and until we organize and do that, I think we will always have the danger of politicians trying to ban guns.

Thanks for Your Business,

Larry Potterfield

CEO

MidwayUSA

NRA Benefactor Member

Well, Mr. Potterfield basically stated what other companies are going to tell you. I believe his statement is a reasonable one. How many owners of a booming company going to take the time to type up a detailed reply? On top of that, he's asking for you to NOT buy so much.

Hang in there. I'm sure the ammo issue will pass.

jephthai

I agree with everyone who says that Midway can do what they want. I whole-heartedly support their freedom to do business as they please.

Further, I question Peetzakilla's assertion that limits just make the most important people mad. I would guess that the stockpilers make up a significant amount of business (in dollar terms), but a small amount of customer-base (in number of bodies).

I have stopped visiting online merchants that haven't had what I want to buy for months, and this probably hurts them substantially. If 80% of their customers don't buy in multi-thousand round chunks, and they leave because they can never find the one box of ammo they want to buy -- it's a significant loss for the merchant. These customers are probably buying at consumption rate -- not stockpiling rate. They are a long-term, renewable source of revenue for the merchant.

Ultimately, the stockpilers won't be stockpiling at multi-thousand round purchase rates forever. Eventually they'll all have a million rounds, or their credit cards will all be maxed out, and their third mortgages tapped, and then Midway will have lost both the metered buyers and the bulk purchasers.

Let them do what they want -- buy where you can. Me, I pick up a single box whenever I notice a store has some. But I don't buy six or ten just because I can.

-Jephthai-

wingman

Let them do what they want -- buy where you can. Me, I pick up a single box whenever I notice a store has some. But I don't buy six or ten just because I can.

Agreed but those who limit 1-2 boxes in time will lose business,I don't stockpile I simply don't want to pay $13.00 shipping on a 500 round brick of 22 however if I can purchase 2 bricks I would and I may have purchased other items at the same time.

I'm not positive this problem of "shortages' will go away in short order but it's just a guess based on years of experience..

armedtotheteeth

things have been great here since Wal mart limited sales of ammo to 400 rounds for popular stuff like 223. They are out now, but we had crates of 223 here in Tx. The gun dealers could not go in a buy 200,000 rounds as they did in one swoop and make a killin on ammo. everybody got what they needed, as long as it was less than 400 rounds a day. no problem

jephthai

armedtotheteeth:

That's a good point. I have seen some evidence of other retailers (basically) scalping Wal-Mart ammunition at obscene prices. I would guess that it's not illegal -- but unethical seems about right.

-Jephthai-