Limbsaver dampener, real or phony?

reynolds357

Any time you put any weight on your barrel, it will either make it shoot better or worse. You can in theory move it and tune the barrel.

FlyTyinFool

I have 2 LimbSaver butt pads.
One on a .300 Win Mag and another on a .30-30 Win '94.
Very hot handloads in both rifles.

Yes, they help.

Muzzle brakes help too.
Using both can really tame that punch to the shoulder.

Last edited:

MarkCO

If you shoot factory ammo, or don't work up your reloads, it can help if you use it to tune. The increase is minimal though and if you properly work up a load, will usually make it worse. We made a trophy out of one...gave it to the guy in our practice group who shot the worst final group of the day.

std7mag

That's what that thing is you guys gave me!!! Lol
Just kidding.

As said before, some say they work, others not so much.
Kind of like the BOSS System. Supposedly adjustable to tune your rifle.
Have yet to see anyone know how to work it at the range though.

You won't find one on any of my rifles.

jmr40

I have 2 LimbSaver butt pads.
One on a .300 Win Mag and another on a .30-30 Win '94.
Very hot handloads in both rifles.

Yes, the recoil pads make a huge difference, but this is not the recoil pad.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Limbsave...=sem&msclkid=10495729b0d91838a93a0cd4206809b0

In theory they CAN work. If you can figure out exactly where they need to be located on the barrel and if you can find a way to keep them there. But there are other ways to accomplish the same thing.

Same principle as the old BOSS system that had a threaded "weight" on the end of the barrel. You screwed the weight, or BOSS, in or out to change the harmonics of the barrel to fine tune for best accuracy with a given load. This is simply a rubber "donut" that slides back and forth on the barrel to do the same thing.

With either system you can burn a lot of ammo figuring out exactly where to set up the system, and at best you'll see minimal changes. Hand loaders can accomplish the same thing by tweaking loads. This allows you to tweak the barrel instead of the ammo. Probably better for guys only shooting factory ammo.

Neither the BOSS, nor the Boss stabilizer are worth the effort to me.