Like New S&W Model 14-3

Howdy

Sometimes you find a nice gun that you have absolutely no need for, but it calls out to you. I keep swearing not to buy anymore K frame Smiths. I really don't need any more, unless there is something unusual or interesting about them.

Last week I was in a local shop and I spotted a very nice Model 14-3. Now I'm not one of those guys who claims a gun is unfired. This one had some powder residue on the frame around the firing pin hole. But it is as close to New In The Box as I have ever come across. Just the tiniest hint of a turn line, that's all. Chambers and bore are spotless. Not a scratch on the grips. It looks like it had six rounds fired through it, and it has been sitting in somebody's sock drawer for 40 years. SN is 5K235XX and The Book says 1973.

I have a couple of older K-38s, but I don't have a Model 14. So I started thinking what the heck. The gun was on consignment and the asking price was $599. I asked if the seller would take $500. The shop made the call and left a message. I bought some ammo and went home. I figured if the guy wanted to meet me halfway at $550 that would be fine. Later in the day the shop called and told me the seller had accepted my offer of $500. I said great, I would be in the following week to pick it up.

It gets better. When I showed up, the owner of the shop looked the gun over and said I had made a great purchase. I already knew that. He said if he had been aware of it he would probably have bought it himself. That's when I found out the gun came with the original box. Now I'm not one of those guys who thinks boxes are collectable, or should add to the price of the gun, but I do love the old blue boxes with the reenforced corners because that's the way Smiths came when I started buying them.

model14-301_zps7d629ba9.jpg

model14-3box02_zps33983522.jpg

No, it was just the box, there were no papers or tools. Let's not get too greedy.

Then I had a little fun with my camera. I took out my Model 17-3, which I bought brand spanky new in 1975, and took a photo of them together.

model14-3andmodel17-301_zps8a460146.jpg

OK, quick, which one is the 38 and which one is the 22? Can you tell? Ya gotta answer quick.

I have not shot the Model 14 yet, I intend to shoot it just a little bit, then do my best to keep it as pretty as the first owner did. My Model 17-3 is not quite so pretty, it has been shot a fair amount since I bought it back in 1975.

The problem is now, I am going to have to be on the lookout for a Model 16 (32 S&W Long) to complete the set.

Howdy Again

You're not the first person to mention the little pin that holds the frame mounted firing pin in place on the Model 17. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised because to me the rivet that holds the firing pin on the hammer of the Model 14 is a bit more obvious. Just my opinion.

model14-3andmodel17-302_zps2c83b98a.jpg

Not too clear in these photos, but the cylinder of the Model 17 is counterbored for the 22 rimfire rims, whereas the cylinder of the Model 14 is not counterbored and has more clearance between the rear of the cylinder and the recoil shield.

That differenence should be a bit more obvious in this photo.

model14-3andmodel17-303_zpsdcfe635f.jpg

Last edited:

KyJim

It definitely is stirring up an urge to buy one. I should stay out of gun stores and off the gun forums. :)

SaxonPig

Seldom have a real need for a gun I buy. A couple years ago I saw this 14-3 on Gunbroker. Target stocks showed a lot of wear as did the bluing making me think it was a cop's gun. Starting price was $100 and nobody else bid so I got it for a C note. Refinished the stocks otherwise I left it alone. Works fine.

standard.jpg

natman

I don't doubt that some 14s were used as police carry guns, but I have to wonder why. They usually came with the wide grooved trigger and wide target hammer, which are great for single action target shooting but not ideal for double action work. The front sight gives a nice sharp image but is practically designed to hang up on a fast draw from a holster.

I'd much rather have a 15 with a ramp front sight and a smooth combat trigger for carry.

That's why S&W named the 14's predecessor the K38 Target Masterpiece and the 15's the K38 Combat Masterpiece.