Lighting a match with a .22LR?

ryalred

I have tried. off and on, for years to light a match with my .22LR. (I have noticed that it is becoming more difficult to find "strike anywhere" matches.) Can it be done? Has anyone done it, or personally witnessed it. I have hit the striking portion of the match, but it has never lit.

TheManHimself

I'm not sure it's possible. Even if you hit the matchhead just right, the waxy lube on .22lr bullets probably wouldn't provide the right amount of friction to light it.

Jimro

The History Channel showed that it can't be done with modern matches on an episode of "Sharpshooters". Had to do with the formula for the match heads being different than the old "Lucifer" matches.

I knew one guy who claimed he could do it with an air rifle but not his 22, maybe because the BB/pellet moves that much slower?

Jimro

wogpotter

I've seen it done at 15yards, not just once, but several times, with sucessive rounds.
Strike anywhere matches & NOT hitting the match head is the secret.
(The guy selling me the rifle by doing this to show how accurate told me this, but only AFTER I paid him:( )
The real trick is to just graze the side of the match head, then it'll ignite. If you actually hit it dead center it'll shatter & disperse before igniting.