Lightening The Trigger Pull On Beretta pistol

Sid

I recently acquired an all steel pistol in 98% condition with original box and instructions. The box says, .32 caliber Puma Beretta. I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it without any trouble. It is a hefty piece and I like the feel and weight of it in my hand. I haven't fired it yet but am concerned about the heavy trigger pull. I would like to get this down to 3&1/2 pounds and am interested in finding out if this can be done by an expert gunsmith. TIA

carguychris

I recently acquired an all steel pistol in 98% condition.. The box says, .32 caliber Puma Beretta.
There are two different pistols that Beretta has marketed in the USA as the Puma.

The first was a postwar version of the Model 1935, a somewhat squarish-looking pistol with a rotating thumb safety above the trigger guard.

The second, known as the "New Puma", was the much sleeker-looking Model 70, introduced in the late 1950's. This gun will have either a crossbolt safety at the rear of the grip (to mid-1968) or a 1911-style frame-mounted thumb safety (after mid-1968). However, AFAIK most Model 70's sold as Pumas were imported before 1968. Pre-68 pistols also won't have frame or slide markings referring to Garcia, Berben, or Beretta USA; post-1968 pistols have these markings because the frames had to be made in the USA to dodge import restrictions.

Lots more info here:

http://berettaforum.net/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

I wouldn't recommend monkeying with the trigger on these guns, because they're becoming collectible, and nice all-original examples are scarce. I generally prefer for people to stick to more easily replaceable project guns. :)

One other thing, if you haven't figured it out already...

If the slide slams shut by itself when the empty magazine is removed, the gun is NOT broken. :) Most Model 70's and all Model 1935's lack a mechanism to automatically hold the slide open when the mag is removed. The shooter is supposed to lock the slide back manually before removing the mag. On the Model 1935, this is done with the manual safety, whereas the Model 70 has a dedicated slide stop lever.

Sid

Mine is the post war model 1935 and is all steel. Yesterday I took it to an expert gunsmith who has done a lot of work for me in the past. He said there would not be any problem in getting the trigger pull down to 3&1/2 pounds. I know it is a collectable but I want it for range shooting and can't do it now with my old, arthritic hands. The smith told me the trigger pull on this pistol was now 7-8 pounds.

jeager106

When I was Fla this past winter I chanced by a local & well stocked gun shop.
Fla. is a pro gun state (fishing is great too!).
I met a nice fellow there who collected Beretta pistols, was very informative on the values of Bertta pistols & the growing collector market for same.
Just thought you'd like to know your pistol is a collectable to Beretta people.

g.willikers

On the other hand, if you intend to use it, make it the way you want and need.
Let collectors worry about collector values.