Lightening Mauser trigger pull

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I put a single-stage trigger into my M48 and it is crisp now...but very heavy. I'd like to lighten it by 30% or so. Would just clipping coils from the spring do it or is the process more complex than that?

DeBee

I'm glad you kept the original style Mauser trigger...

First, examine the engaging surfaces. Is the sear polished? Maybe it still has machining ridges. I have a diamond file that cleans this area up well without aggressively removing metal or changing critical angles- some 600 grit paper on a popsicle stick would work...

I also get a common nail and cut, polish and square a small section to drop through the spring to act as a overtravel stop works great- you'll have to fiddle with the proper length...

Lastly, your spring might be too new. Swap springs rather than cut coils. I once switched springs from the magazine release and the trigger! Scratched my head on that one for a long while...

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
The new sear is polished. I can take the old spring and put it in...but I think that the reason for the heavy pull is that it isn't spread out between take-up and actual striker release. What I am wondering is, did I correctly identify the spring or is it the trigger return spring that I am looking at (I don't have the time to take the rifle apart right now)?