Light weight 9mm Target pistol 5" barrel

9x19

Define "target"... bullseye discipline, informal or IDPA/USPSA discplines?

My choice for informal and IDPA is the Glock 34.

Hank R

Yes, Informal and the Glock 34 is a good one but I was thinking something a little heavier,perhaps 32-33 oz.

T. O'Heir

9mm and target pistol don't really go together. A Browning High Power weighs 32 ounces. A Colt Combat Commander weighs about 36 oz. There's a Commander Gold Cup 9mm too.

rt11002003

I'm not sure light weight is a good factor, except for carry. I believe balance is more important, up to a the point where one can't support the weight.

I love my X Series SIG's, but SIG's are heavy. Good balance, just can't consider them light unless comparing to say a CZ75Tactical Sport, which is very heavy, great balance.

I suggest you look at the H&K USP9Expert. It feels lighter than its real weight; has great balance, super match trigger and very accurate.

Hank R

I think for me and my informal shooting the 9mm would be fine. I like the looks of the XDm 5.25" competition at round $850, and it weighs about 30 oz. I have an H&K USP but not the target trigger gun and it is a fine gun as is my SIG P226 , but in a target gun the SIG X-5 is too heavy and is a little too expensive for me. At age 75 I am not competing .

rt11002003

DaleA, I thought of suggesting the Springfield RO 9mm. It's another gun that doesn't feel its weight, good balance, very accurate. Very first gun my LGS owner recommended for target shooting. Hank R, I'm 77, don't notice the weight. I've got a couple of other more expensive 1911's; they don't shoot any better than that $700 RO.

Hank R

The 33 oz gun weight is not chiseled in stone , so I will look into the Springfield RO 9 gun too. Thanks, Hank

GJSchulze

I have the xDM 5.25 in 9mm. I use it for USPSA and IDPA. I love it. I did a trigger job plus a few other things and now the trigger weight is about 2.75 lbs with a short travel and reset. I think the factory trigger is about 5.5 lbs.

It has a fiber optic front sight which is good for old eyes and an adjustable rear sight.

JDBerg

An STI Trojan Lightweight 9mm Gov't length 5" bbl. with the alloy frame weighs 34 oz. I have the steel framed Trojan 9mm, it is a fantastic range gun that everybody likes to shoot, and I recommend this highly!

DubC-Hicks

It's only a 4.7" barrel, but my CZ75b SA seems to keep up with all the other guns posted. It's my most accurate pistol.

pilpens

1st. 1911 5" --- some have plastic mainspring housing and GI recoil spring guide rod. Also, available in polymer or Alloy frame. Many brands available at different prices. I you do not want to spend too much, look at Armscor/RIA products. Otherwise, Springfield RO maybe the best for the money. STIs are nice but they can be pricey.
2nd. Walther PPQ with 5" barrel -- I have only shot the shorter barrel .40 and 9mm. Definitely go with 9mm on this one. Very nice trigger break on polymer pistols; clean, crisp and lighter feeling trigger pull weight than advertised.
3rd. Glock 34 with aftermarket barrel + trigger job + dawson sights. (I have a G34+KKM barrel that shoots as well as my 1911s). For more weight, maybe start with a G35 and convert it to 9mm. For even more weight, you can play with aftermarket guide rods.

Last edited:

JDBerg

Think about a S&W M52 in .38 SPL. Pretty light weight, and a real neat target gun.

The M52 needs 38 spl. wadcutters, but they are tack drivers with the right ammo. You could look for a S&W 952 Performance Center gun, this is a 9mm target pistol if there ever was one, they are pricey and they are anything but lightweight, my friend has one and it hits a target like something you dream about. Same for the Sig P210, if you try one out you'll want one, but these go for north of $2K and are also very hard to find, and you'll probably have to order it!

Last edited: