Light Rifles and Heavy Pistols

jackstrawIII

Was just looking over my current assortment of firearms and realized that my favorite handguns are all on the heavy side... and my favorite rifles are all really small and lightweight.

How about you guys?

jackstrawIII

Yeah, I find that the extra weight of a pistol makes is much more shootable and only slightly more uncomfortable to carry.

Conversely, the light weight of a rifle makes is much easier to carry and only slightly less shootable.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but it works for me. Really interested to hear what other members think.

SC4006

Overall I like heavier guns. My S&W 4006 is made entirely of stainless steel, and is quite heavy, but tones down the .40 S&W quite well.

I also have a custom mosin nagant that weighs about 11 pounds that I like to shoot a lot as well. The weight plus muzzle brake I have on it equals about zero muzzle rise, and a very soft push into the shoulder. It's definitely a target rifle more than anything.

SIGSHR

AFAIK Bullseye shooters always used steel frames. I have found 38 WCs out of a mid or large frame revolver feel like 22s.

bamaranger

light

ALL the rifles I seem to be hunting with the most are lighter. I stood in front of the safe the other morning and found myself hefting a pair, thinking....

which one of these do I want to tote down in there....cause I'll have to carry it back up to get out. Of course, I choose the lightest one, and the Ruger .44 carbine went hunting again.

Husqvarna

yes

browning blr, that I carry for hours on end, unslung

8 inch sw I don't carry, just to the range but still think about its heft

jackstrawIII

Husqvarna, funny you should mention the BLR. I'm looking to get one of those in 358 Win this year. Going to be a bruiser.

Husqvarna

do it

Only rifle I will never sell just so damn handy

I might just have to get one of those Henry Long Ranger in 223 to

my boy inherited much from me but not my lefthandedness but for a first CF rifle the very light BLR is not a good candidate

Chainsaw.

I had to think about it but yeah, I agree, my favorite pistol is my 5" 629 classic in 44, full underlug, can recall the weight but shes definitely got thick thighs. And my favorite rifles are my AR which is just under 7#s and a couple different 22s.