light or heavy bullets for 2" .357 SD revolver

dgang

Trying to develop some SD loads for a light weight .357 snub-nose revolver. True .357 loads are just too brutal to shoot and +P are not powerful enough. Have tried 125 gr. @ 1050-1070 fps and 158 gr.@920 fps. The 125 gr. load developed more energy but less TKO than the 158 gr. load with less ft. lbs. but higher TKO rating.I figure in the TKO (Taylor Knock Out values) because I don't think lbs. of energy are the only measure to be considered when comparing loads, IE: a 55 gr .223 load has more energy than a 240 gr. .44 magnum load. Would rather have the .44 mag load for short range self-defense.
Anybody out there have any thoughts on which would be the better SD load?

Nick_C_S

I don't have a degree in physics. But it's my understanding that heavy bullets suffer less of a penalty from short barrels.

If memory serves, for years, the "police load" for 38 Special snubbies was a 200 grain lead slug - and they were standard pressure, not +P.

That said, I'd lean toward the 158's. But then, long barrel or short, for SD, I'm a fan of heavy bullets anyway.

Of course, under the circumstances, you're kind of giving up on the expansion thing. You're just making a hole. Might as well make it a deep one.

hseII

Remington's 125 grain Golden bla bla bla .357 load worked really well in my sp-101.

Minute of Cat @ 25yrds & I don't want to get hint with it judging from the results.

Don Fischer

I used to have a 357, Trooper MK IV. Fired factory jacketed loads in it one thie and swore off magnums from that day to this. But I loved that gun so I shot 38's loaded with 148gr wad cutter's mostly. Nice to shoot and if you get one in the chest, you will fall don!

849ACSO

I would opt for a heavier, slower moving bullet in any gun short of varminting.

I don't want "splat" in an SD round. I want heavy, bone crushing momentum.

Snyper

Try as many different loads as you can and use the one that's most accurate, whether it happens to be light or heavy.
Don't try to overthink things.
Only the good hits count.

Mobuck

"Most" heavier bullets can't be pushed fast enough from short barrels to expand.
If you want a heavy bullet load for a 2", use a swaged lead HP. I've loaded those @ 850 FPS and had excellent expansion with good penetration.

AVirginian

So, what's everyone's favorite powder in 38 or 357?

Not necessarily your load, unless you'd like to share, but just the powder you prefer.

jersurf101

I am a big fan of Bullseye in .38 special. Sound reloading technique must be observed with Bullseye. It is possible to triple charge a .38 special case with normal charges.

I like Unique for light to mid level .357s, mostly 158 lead. For my full house jacketed recipes I use 2400. I feel like out of a 2" barrel 2400 would turn your pistol into a flame thrower too:D

Nick_C_S

Try as many different loads as you can and use the one that's most accurate

We're discussing "knock down power" for a short barreled 357 Mag. It's safe to say the kind of purpose we're talking about here would be a self-defense situation at close range.

I don't see where accuracy is much of a factor.

rodfac

"Most" heavier bullets can't be pushed fast enough from short barrels to expand.
Yep, but try some of the boutique SD loads if you're committed to a heavy bullet...I use ~125's from Hornady and Remington with confidence that they'll expand as advertised, and that I'll have an easier time getting off a 2nd or 3rd accurate shot if needed.

If you're loading your own, I like and use both Winchester 231 and Unique to duplicate factory velocities.

Rod

full case load

A thought you might consider. Years ago I had a short barrel Security Six and I decided I needed a lighter faster bullet. Shot WAY low. I had an adjustable rear sight and up all the way to "one more click the screw would come out adjustment" and it was still low. The 125 gr. bullet recoil was too light, and velocity too quick to get the muzzle rise the sights were designed for.

ShootistPRS

I generally prefer heavy bullets for my hunting rounds but for self defense you don't necessarily need to penetrate as far. Most of the new self defense rounds for short barreled revolvers are using light bullets. The 125s to 140 grain bullets are king right now. I have always used a 140 grain JHP in my 357s using a load of 296 that used to be 1/2 grain below the listed maximum. The listed maximums have since dropped 1.6 grains so my load is not recommended for anything but Ruger and Contender pistols. You could use AA 9, HS7 or Power Pistol with a 125 grain HP to provide a lighter load that could be reduced to the +P 38 Spl loads. If I was going to a lighter bullet it would be the 135 grain Speer bullet designed for self defense.

As for shooting too low you can get a taller front sight or file your rear sight to achieve the correct point of impact.

Don Fischer

Probably the bottom line is whatever bullet you can hit a 10" target at 7'! With my carry gun I never shoot farther than about 5 yds, 15'. Reason being if someone is farther away than that, it's hard to explain why you had to shoot him in the first place. So I'd guess any bullet is gonna work. Unless the attacker is waxed out on drug's, I'd bet just the sound of being shot at is gonna stop him. I have tried to imagine what a 22 bullet would feel like if I was hit in the chest with one. When your talking about self defense, precision shooting has little to do with any thing.

In my 9mm's, I rejected the light bullet's and went to mid range bullet's. My though was I should sacrifice velocity for more bullet weight. So all I load is 124gr cast bullet's. I would hate for one of those little light sucker's to shoot through and get an unintended person behind the bad guy. Now I'm thinking I should step up to the 147gr bullet. the weight might carry it through but the lower velocity might not let it pass through! Then it would just matter what recoil I could reasonably handle and still hit center mass. Won't hurt near as bad getting hit with a beach ball going 100fps as it would whit a medicine ball at some what less speed. I just thugh that up! :)

Snyper

We're discussing "knock down power" for a short barreled 357 Mag. It's safe to say the kind of purpose we're talking about here would be a self-defense situation at close range.

I don't see where accuracy is much of a factor
The difference in "knock down power" will be negligible.
The most powerful load in the world won't do anything if it doesn't shoot where you aim
Accuracy is always a factor.