light mount

ocharry

hi guys,,, I just made an aluminum light mount for my HD shotgun and I would like to anodize it. anyone have a good place to get this done?

I guess i could paint it but that don't tickle me.

or I could use the aluminum black stuff like bluing for aluminum,, that may be OK if i can get someone who has used it to tell me it works good.

anyone have any suggestions?

thanks ocharry

ahankster

Something you might want to try is Brownell's new bake on finish, the teflon-moly stuff. They advertise that once properly applied, you have to blast it off. On the parts I have done correctly, I have found this to be true.

I picked up a pretty ruff little 22 for my kid, bead blasted what was left of the nickle finish off and then used this stuff. Came out pretty good. I have used it on a couple of projects and overall they come out well.

Couple of learning points, first don't spray it on too thick. It sprays a fairly thick coating and if you aren't carefull, you'll put too much and end up w/ runs and/or sags. Second, either use a fairly course sanding medium or blast the part, this will provide a good base for the coating. If the part is highly polished, you might end up with some flaking, I had this happen. But since I started bead blasting all the parts, once baked on, this stuff isn't coming off. Third, make sure the part is very clean and degreased. Lastly, it really helps if the part is very warm, almost hot, when initially painted. I found that you get less runs, a more even coating and almost in instantainious drying of the coating. Pretty much ready for the oven.
Good luck.
Hank

HankL

Birchwood Casey's Aluminum Black works pretty good when it's fresh.

This Thread Would Be Better With Pictures

Another Hank in Mississippi 8^)

Last edited:

ocharry

i will give it a try

img2615pz6.jpg

img2610zj0.jpg

img2614li7.jpg

ocharry:D

Last edited:

ocharry

well how about if i glass bead blast the pieces and then put the BC stuff on? think that would be OK?? and what kind of wax do you recommend?

thanks ocharry