Light Load for a 7MM Rem Mag?

ZeroJunk

Has anybody had any luck with a good shooting light load for 140 grain bullets out of a 7 Rem Mag? I have tried it with other magnums with dismal results. But, what I was trying to do was use less of a slow burning powder. It might be better to use something like 4064 as far as accuracy goes. I know it can be done because the Remington reduced recoil stufff does fine. I really only want to get to 2900 or 3000FPS, but I want it to shoot reasonably well as in 1 1/2 MOA or so. Any ideas?

I have a 7/08 and a 280 but would like to hunt with the magnum because it's a rag I can leave it in my truck and not be terribly upset if somebody steals it.:)

thekyrifleman

If you only want 2900-3000 fps, you will be at near max for the 140 grainer. I have loaded over max with H4831 for many years and the best I could get was 3000fps. changed to RL19 and managed 3060...by the way that equaled Remington's 140 grain factory load. Rem 700 with a 24" barrrel. Bought it in 1966. Measured 12 ft from the muzzle with a Shooting Chrony. In my opinion if you want less recoil go with either the 280 or the -08. Both will give you 2850 plus and the 280 can get to 2900 plus.

Shoney

Nosler lists the following H380 load for 140 gr bullet as the max load for the powder and the most accurate, while Hodgdon does ot list it at all.

Bullet Wt: 140 gr
Powder: H380
Charge Weight__Muzzle Velocity__Load Density
(grains)_________(fps)
55.0____________2938 fps______71%

ZeroJunk

The Sierra manual shows 3200 FPS max with many different powders for the 7 Rem Mag and 140 grain .

I realize that chronographed and what's in the manual are two different things. There are many loads in the manual that show a velocity in the range I am looking for. I just wondered if anybody had tried one that was accurate because usually lighter loads in a magnum case are not particularly so.

I'l try the H380 and report back later.

ForneyRider

I loaded some Sierra Pro Hunter 120gr at 3000fps with IMR 4064 and they have much reduced recoil to full power loads. They are plenty accurate.

Just try a min. load of IMR 4064.