Light bullets for 30-06?

xraymongral

I am looking to load some shells to use for coyote hunting. I am thinking that light bullets(110 to 125) would be best, but I have no experiance with these bullets.

Bullets I have looked at using include:

Nosler 125gr BT
Hornady 110gr spire point
Hornady 110gr V-Max
Sierra 125gr spitzers
Speer 125gr TNT

Any personal experiances with these bullets and 'yotes?

Thanks,
Phil

Shooter 973

light bullets in 30-06

I've tried light bullets in my primary rifle and found that it hates 110gr bullets. needed 125 gr at least to get it to group at all. You can push the 125s pretty hard and still get good results. had to use the 110s in 30-30 to use them up. My recomendation would be the Sierra 125s and push them fairly hot. :)

R&H

Believe it or not the 110 hornady spire point and a max IMR 4064 is the most accurate round I have found for my rifle. This bullet is VERY destructive under 200 yards.

KYE-OAT

Sierra 110's......

.......in a .30-' 06, was the load I shot my first coyote with.
An old guy I used to hunt with made 'em up for me....so I really don't know how much/ what kind of powder he loaded...
I do know it was extremely accurate and highly deadly....altho' it killed 'em deader than need be. It also took a while to get my M70 Win. sighted in for the lighter bullet......it was sighted in w/165 grn bullets...so the first shot didn't even print @ 50 yds!!
After dropping the point of aim around 12 inches, it proved to be very accurate (for that rifle).....keeping most shots inside 2 1/2 inches @ 100, which is more accurate than it will shoot "deer" loads.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Accuracy with the 110-grain bullet will be a function of the rate of the twist in the barrel. Slower twist = tighter groups. A 1-12" would work better than a 1-9".

I started out with the old Hornady Spire Points, ahead of a bunch of 3031--'cause that's what my uncle used. :) These bullets work quite well on small stuff like jackrabbits or coyotes, or neck shots (only!) on small deer.

If you honestly expect to do a good bit of shooting out around 300 to 400 yards, the 125-grain boat-tail would probably be the better choice.

Regardless, they'll be ruinacious on pore ol' Wiley.

:), Art

Bottom Gun

I’ve had good luck with both the Sierra 110 gr HP and the Speer 125 gr TNT bullets. Both are quite accurate and very devastating. I normally load them just under max using IMR 4064 powder.

xraymongral

Thanks for the info fellas. I bought some Sierra 125gr bullets yesterday, because thats all the store had in stock for light .308. Going to see how well they shoot. If they are accurate, then it looks like head shots to save they pelt will be the ticket. Now to come up with a good load using AA2520.

Alleycat

MIne loves the 110 gr VMax...we call 'em coyote bombs :)

The only issue is the large amount of copper fouling that builds up really fast. Clean barrel shoots under 1" at 100 yds.

Steve