light .30 experience

markmcj

Have any of you reloaders come up with a light bullet load{110's or 125's} for a .308 that work well out to 400 yards or further? Or would that be a pipe dream? I've seen alot of post about 168's and 180's, but I would like to flatten that out quite abit.

My barrel is 26 inches long and has a 1 in 12 twist.

I'm getting ready to work up some loads with Sierra's 110 hp and Nosler's 125 ballistic tip. I plan to use VV 133 powder unless to verdict comes back to go in another direction.

mark mcj

C.R.Sam

Short and fat (light for caliber) bullets lose velocity quite rapidly.
400 yards should show huge drop for 110gr bullets from .308.

Most shapes of 110 actually died before the 300 yard line.

110gr leaving muzzle at around 500 fps faster than a 150gr will often be slower than the 150gr at the 300yd mark.

Sam

uglygun

For close in work, I've personally seen the 110-130grain varmint bullets make a huge mess of varmints. The decrease in velocity is probably made up for by the diameter and volume of the hollow point core(think of the Vmax) making for explosive performance even at slower velocities.

Comparing to my 223Remington loaded with similar bullets I've seen the 308s make more muck&mess out to 200 yards or so.

But like C R Sam mentioned, they have a pretty awful trajectory being such short bullets. My 223Remington with 55-60grain bullets seems a bit easier to shoot out to longer ranges than when shooting the light 110-130grain bullets out of the 308Winchester.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
And for truly serious messes at closer ranges, use some 80-grainer like the .32-20 flat-nose, swaged down, or a full-patch pistol bullet.

Warning: Do NOT shoot a buzzard that's directly overhead. :D

Art