Life span of a Blackhawk?

Ruark

I've had a few Blackhawks over the years, and always ended up trading them, although they were without exception fine, reliable guns. My current one is a 6 1/2" stainless .357. I've probably put a couple thousand rounds (I handload) through it since I bought it new. These are mostly max-load 158 gr. XTPs.

That being said, I was just wondering: what's the expected life span of this gun? How many rounds can you expect to fire through it before something starts going wrong? Of course, that's assuming you keep the barrel clean, screws tightened, etc.

And when it finally DOES start wearing out, what will probably go first? The bore? Cylinder? Or maybe these Blackhawks just never wear out..:D

Leejack

There are always exceptions to the rule, but Blackhawks are usually passed down from one generation to the next.

I love these guns and have put thousands of rounds through them without any trouble whatsoever.

These are the guns that have earned Ruger that "Built like a tank" reputation!;)

Amin Parker

Hmmm. With constant abuse and reckless reloading and lots and lots of shooting i would think only about 50 thousand years. :)

Seriously though, i cannot see one being worn out especially in 357 magnum unless someone deliberately really tries to break it.

Nothing is idiot proof.

Renob

I have a stainless Blackhawk bought in the early 80's.
At approx. 12,000 rounds(I reload) the transfer bar broke.
Ruger sent me a new one for free. Other than that there have ben no problems. I am presently at approx.16,000 rounds.

Renob

Slamfire

That being said, I was just wondering: what's the expected life span of this gun? How many rounds can you expect to fire through it before something starts going wrong? Of course, that's assuming you keep the barrel clean, screws tightened, etc.

I would expect the fatique limits of the structural components, barrel, frame, cylinder, are sized for an infinite number of SAAMI spec rounds. Exceed SAAMI pressure rounds and the lifetime will be less.

As for the internal components, I had a transfer bar break. I replaced it. The internals of Blackhawks are extremely durable but there is no reason to expect an infinite life on these. Just replace them if they break.

Which might be a quarter million rounds or so.

Dave T

I have one Blackhawk made in 1957 and another from '58. They were used (fired) when I got them and are going to be fired as long as I own them. I have no concerns about either of them or any of the 3-screw OM Blackhawks I have ever wearing out.

Dave