Life Is A Learning Curve (Long)

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Between chit-chat on TFL and a buddy's curiosity, I wound up building a shooting table for a 500-yard range. The targets are two lids from 55-gallon drums, and a one-inch thick, 22" steel plate. They're across Terlingua Creek from the house, and maybe 225 or 250 feet lower elevation. That's not enough down-slope to affect aiming, but it makes for an apparent distance that looks a lot farther off than 500 yards.

Weatherby Mark V, 26" barrel, .30-'06, various handloads with Sierra bullets. Simmons 44 Mag scope, set on 10X.

I first tried a while back with my 150-grain hunting loads. Zeroed at 200, I just used Kentucky holdover/windage and shot twice. Hit once at 6" low, 5:30; then, 1" off at about one o'clock. Smug!!!

Today, I thought I'd "do it right". I calculated the number of clicks for the distance, got out the box of 165 HPBT and the box of 180 SPBT and had at it. I figured that since I had been so good before, I'd be so good, again. (Go away, Dear; we're talking about something else.) Wrong!

I should have tested my sighting at 100 yards and then moved over to the other range. Dunno if it's the scope, or my own whatsits. So, first point on the curve.

I finally got on target and got a couple of five-inch, four-shot groups with the 165-grain stuff. Variable breeze, less than 5mph.

Shot a ten-shot group with the 180-grains. Two called flyers. Eight shots in about seven inches max spread. The spread was more horizontal than vertical, indicating the effect of the breeze. Smug again.

About that time I noticed that my little wax paper shim had fallen out of its place at the front of the forend, so I'd been shooting a free-floated barrel. This means I get to load some more ammo and retest. :) Another point on the curve: Check your gear!

Comparative damage: When I went to paint the targets, I compared the damage from the 150, the 165 & the 180 bullets on the one-inch steel plate. The 150-grain bullet had barely made a dimple--if I may use that word. The 165-grain bullets made about a 1/8" deep dimple. The 180s, however, were noticeably different. They made a noticeable crater, splashing up some target metal. Maybe 3/16" deep, the hole was 1/2" across. Third point on the curve: Some bullets are better than others. I've been hunting with 150-grain bullets in an '06 for 50 years. Fine for deer dressing out at, say, 150 pounds or less. Bigger deer, or elk, I do believe I'm now thinking 180.

Afterwards, checking the 180s at 100 yards, dead-on at 500 yards is about 11 high at 100. (Not that I'd sight in that way; it's a reference.)

Fun day!

Art

Dave R

Art, do you notice a difference in accuracy between the 150gr and the 180 gr? For some reason, my Rem 700 .308 shoots better groups with 180 gr. Maybe I have the faster twist? Your rifle shoot one or the other better?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Dave, I haven't shot the 180s for group size at 100 yards, so I have no comparison, yet.

I'm gonna reload some more in the next few days. I'll compare, and post.

Art

Hot Core

Hey Art, Sure wish I had that kind of space a bit closer by than where I have to go shoot right now. Good for YOU!

Sounds like a pretty fair first outing to me too. "Details" make a whole lot of difference once you get out aways. Things can't just be almost right, they have to be right.

But, there is a bit more "BAD NEWS", it is VERY addictive shooting at distance. Do we see a 26" Bull Barrel 308Win M700VLS, a tweaked trigger, 168gr Sierra MatchKings and a 20x or 36x scope sneaking into your thoughts?

Good shooting, Hot Core

Jorah Lavin

I may have access to a 1000 yard range next year...

As a new shooter, I've had only limited exposure to rifles, (mostly .22 at 50 or 75 yards) and find the 100 yard range where I shoot to be quite enough for plinking around with my "urban assault rifle" (old lever-action .30/30 )

But the farmer who runs the range is thinking of "harvesting some firewood" in a thin strip 1000 yards long at right angles to the existing range, so when I get my CMP Garand this year, I may eventually be able to see what happens with .30-06 out at ranges Art was talking about... should be fun, except for all the hiking back and forth, setting up targets. ;)

-J.

PS: Sounds like a great excuse to add that Rock Chucker to the Dillon I just got started with; ("But honey, I will be saving money in the long run, really!")

RiverRider

Well, whadddya know? Art, I spent four great years in Alpine and the Big Bend country. If you attended the turkey shoots put on by the SRSU Range and Wildlife Club back in '86, '87, or '88, our paths have most certainly crossed!

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
A Small & Happy World

River Rider, I bought into the Terlingua Ranch deal in 1972, and moved here from Austintatious in '83. Got up to a few shoots of various sorts, in Alpendejo. By the way, Keasey Kimball's old age finally retired him from gunsmithing and gun-building. Did you ever see his "unsanforized" Model 70 as a .22 single-shot, or his miniature Stevens Favorite?

Hot Core: I wanna see just how good I can go with the present rig, although a scope with "the best" repeatability in the adjustment will be of interest. The present trigger is a Canjar. It will adjust down even below the present two-pound pull, although I feel it's now at the minimum for hunting.

I guess my ego trip will be to have a hunting rifle that shoots pretty close to the target-shooters' critters. :)

Regards, Art

Stopdropnroll

"They're across Terlingua Creek from the house, and maybe 225 or 250 feet lower elevation"

Art, no disrespect, but I am curious, isn't it against the law to shoot across a body of water, roadway and railroad tracks?

SDnR ;)

RiverRider

Hey there Stopdrop...Terlingua Creek ain't no body of water! At least most of the time, it ain't. ;)

Hey Art, I never even met Mr. Keasey Kimball, unless I count the time I went with my girlfriend out to the Kimball place to feed her horses one night. We finished up the chores, then got in the ol' pickup to leave, but we got...uh, well, delayed somehow. The pickup had a big front seat, ya know. I dunno who it was for sure who came out there and shined the flashlight into the truck while we were...uh, getting delayed, so I may never have met Mr. Kimball at all. I guess I'll never know, cuz I sure ain't gonna go ask him if he ever saw me getting delayed in a pickup out by his stable..

I sure miss college.

Anyhow Art, I bet we know some of the same folks. I'll shoot ya an email one of these days about it. Probably not without some delay though. :)

-RR-