??Library Police??

Sir William

OK. I am interested in any LEOs who are assigned to public libraries. I am interested in job descriptions, inter-agency cooperation and Homeland Security-FBI investigative role. I Am especially interested in whether search warrants are required for PC Usage/tracking of patrons. I realise this is a new area of law enforcement but, I am aware of a few agencies.

croyance

I am not a LEO, but I thought that the Patriot Act made it easier to investigate somebody without having a search warrant, if you label them a terrorist.

Sir William

No. In relatinship to free library PC/internet access/use, most inquirie need a written request, court review, consent of provider and without consent, a search warrant is needed. This has already been used in one terrorism/WOT FBI request under the Patriot Act. Confidentiality and privacy is still protected. IOWs, hoops must still be jumped through in order to gain the information. Jump through the hoops and the information has to be released.

Rojoe67

Sir

What are you trying to ask exactly? If LEO's are assigned to library duty????

If your needing some real detailed information on this, contact your local FBI office. They will likely assume your worth looking into as well. ;) Just want to help you along.

Sir William

Most libraries are tax supported and in many locales, there are actual LEOs in a library police or sheriffs sub-station. I am interested in how the Patriot Act is changing their duties or focus from security and chasing down vandals and rare book thieves to high technology internet monitors. It is a newer form of police work. I am interested in how agencies are being formed.

Rojoe67

?

As far as my area of the world (SE Michigan) I don't know of any police agency that has the extra man/woman to send to the library to protect the books? Saginaw, a city of about 70,000 just laid off a lot of officers. :( Budgets in Michigan aren't working the way the manager's (bad politicians) had thought they would. Detroit, a much larger city is also dealing with big budget crunch too. I might add, on instances when a detective or off duty officer would be at a library, he or she could get involved in something. Our big problem these last two weeks are murder. Saginaw has had 8 killed in the last 6 days. Flint and Detroit are also hot areas too. Drugs are in one way or another almost always the root of the issue. Someone said to me the other day to look at the bright side.......The thugs are killing each other off. Too bad many stray bullets find citizens that were minding their own before being shot. Thursday a armed robber entered a Flint party store. He was dressed in black with a mask on as well. He fired a shotgun at the clerk and some way, God only knows, missed the man. The clerk then drew a weapon and put the attacker down. Police investigated the shooter and found him to be a 14 year old male. The robber died from his short career at being bad. The sad part is the media stated the parent of the robber said it's the court systems fault for letting this boy get to this point. Might be some truth to that, but how ironic for a parent to even remark on such a tragic end to the son they tried to raise??? :( Anyhow I have went on and off topic but the point is, in the areas of Michigan I live and work it's very unlikely an officer be stationed at a library. I have heard of a security officer working at a few of the bigger city ones though.

Sir William

That was on topic. Many public utility companies, libraries and school districts are forming police agencies. Budget cutbacks, manpower shortages due to WOT and Patriot Act requirements are leading to this formation of new LEAs.

Sir William

The point is, new police departments are being formed. In some areas, officers are assigned. Railroads have expanded their police departments and added Special Agents since 9-11. Public utility agencies are adding police departments to their agencies. Several school districts have their own police departments. There are rare books, valuable artwork, electronic equipment, vehicles and many child molesters and rapists use public library PCs to check their RSO status on-line. Libraries are responding to a perceived and sometimes genuine need.