Liability insurance for CCW

Bob Thompson

At the gun show last Saturday was a group of lawyers selling liability insurance in the event of a suit for using a concealed weapon. The cost was $100.00 a year and coverage amount went up every year you subscribed. Rightous shoot or not a person could likely get suied in this event. Is this growing across the U.S. and what do you all think of it.

bowhnter

First I've heard of it. I doubt I'd apply though. I figure if 'most' leo's don't even unholster during their career. I don't need insurance. Just my .02

Bowser

Get the liability insurance "umbrella" policy available with your homeowners insurance. I got $1 million insurance against ANYTHING (except sexual harassment) for $35 per year. I'm thinking of doubling it to $2 million.

There is no sensible excuse not to have personal liability insurance if you own a home.

Bowser.

Liberty Ship

NRA offers an excellent liability/criminal defense package. You can probably find on their web site. You gotta be a member to qualify, you should be a member anyway.

straightShot

You gotta be a member to qualify, you should be a member anyway.

Yeah, and if you're not, send me an email.

As a recruiter, I'll save you $10 off of the $35 membership cost for an annual member. It'll only cost you $25 for the first year, you get your choice of magazine, $10,000 accidental death and dimemberment insurance, $1000 firearms theft insurance, shooter's cap, and other discounts. The $25 rate is also good for renewals.

If we had 10,000,000 NRA members instead of 4,000,000, just think of what kind of pro-freedom voting block we would have...

straightShot

MR.G

I spoke to two insurance agents this week about personal liability umbrella policies and homeowners insurance coverage for firearm self defense. Both told me that neither would cover a lawsuit for damages as a result of a self defense shooting. Both said that the exclusions contained in the policies included acts where you "intended" to do bodily harm. That when you shoot a gun at someone, you "intend" to do bodily harm. I live in Florida, and maby policies in some states are worded differently. The NRA Endorsed policy seems to be the best protection, since it specifically addresses the issue of self defense with a firearm. It also covers you for liability while hunting, target shooting, and competition shooting. I received the outline of coverage from the agent the other day, and it reads very good. I am going to send in the premium. Thanks NRA !

El Rojo

"I shot the man attacking me in the center mass with the sole intention of stopping his actions." No where in that statement does it say I intended to do him bodily harm.

This thing sounds more like an easy $100 a year for nothing to me. Not to mention, lawyers don't sell insurance!!! Maybe they were selling their services. If you get in a shootout, they will provide your legal counsel under your insurance plan. That doesn't mean they cover your costs when you lose your $5 million lawsuit for a bad shooting or even worse, because your lawyer was a scam artist that dabbled in the "insurance" business and didn't know jack about defending you in a civil suit.

The best thing to do after you are in a shootout is to not get in a shootout in the first place!!! If you don't shoot or draw your weapon, you have nothing to worry about. Awareness and proactive measures. Then if you do get in a shootout, when it is over, don't give the police a statment other than, "I have a valid CCW, I was afraid for my life, I shot the attacker center mass with the intent to stop their actions. I am unable to give any other statement until I contact my lawyer. Thank you sir." And then do just that, keep your mouth shut until you meet with your lawyer.

nascarnhlnra

I would imagine El Rojo has it pretty right.......less said after unavoidable shooting the better keep it simple with the words" I was afraid for my life".......however at the time the cops show up I don't want to be thumbing through the yellow pages for a lawyer I would rather pay the $100 to retain one so you knew who to call right away.

El Rojo

You don't have to pay $100 to retain a lawyer. My credit union has a deal with Chain & Younger where I can get free consultation. So who is my lawyer? Chain & Younger. Does it take $100 to know who my lawyer is? No. I just know that is who I am going to call. Finding a lawyer should not take $100 a year. Just open up the phone book and make some calls and see who handles 2nd Amendment issues with a passion. Then keep their card in your wallet, or just know their name. It won't be hard for me to call 411 or look in a phone book for Chain & Younger after a shooting. And really, I have all the time in the world, I am not saying anything until I see my lawyer. And if it is a legitimate looking shooting, the law enforcement in my area are going to be fairly helpful. They like citizens with good marksmanship who stop armed robbers.

MR.G

It is not about which attorney to call. It is about the cost to retain one. I have hired a defense attorney before. It cost me $5,000.00 up front when he took the case. As we got further into the case, and closer to trial, he collected more as needed for depositions, investigations, supeonas, and fees. The case never made it to trial and it cost almost 10,000.00. His hourly fees alone were $150.00 per hour out of court. I found that that price is actually cheap in my area. If it had gone to court, the legal costs alone, excluding any judgment, would have probably exceded $25,000.00. You can be sued by anyone for almost anything today and the leagal fees can bankrupt you. The NRA endorsed self defense plan pays the cost of legal defense, and judgment, up to a certain amount. If you carry a gun for self defense, there is a chance you may use it someday. If you do use it the bad guy that you shoot, or his estate, will probably sue you. Personal injury attorneys usually work on a contingentcy basis, without a retainer, so the bad guy needs no money to sue you.

westex

Why doesn't someone form an insurance company (probably best headquartered in NJ) that would assist you if you are sued regarding a shooting. Their coverage would include all expenses to send a representative(s) from headquarters to "discuss" with the suing attorney and/or their clients the ramifications of pursuing this type of unjustified action.

I think there may be quite a few qualified independent agents available for hire to handle these type of situations.

I'd pay a hundred/year for that kind of coverage.;)

Last edited:

C.R.Sam

I can testify to the validity of Mr.Gs post.

Win, lose or draw; tis expensive. Lawyer only one to profit.

Sam

Bowser

Maybe policies vary from state to state. Mine covers everything, from crashing into the orphanage bus to fights. Self defense cannot be seen as intentional.

Bowser.

P

PreserveFreedom

I agree with Bowser here. Although I am currently a renter, I don't want what little I have left to be wiped out. My renter's policy includes coverage against me being sued. It's not worth a million bucks, but it's enough to hold 'em off while I hide my valuables and play poor. ;)