LGS competing with online ammo prices

Yung.gunr

I recently put together a bulk order for ammo at a major online ammo retailer and then shipping came in at $90! I understand ammo is heavy so shipping will not be cheap. My question is, has anyone ever contacted their LGS to see if they can match the online retailer's price, with the shipping included?

Just an example to clarify, my ammo order is 1000 rounds of XYZ totaling $200. Shipping comes to $100, making the total $300. So I contact my LGS to see if he can get me 1000 rounds of XYZ for $300 out the door.

Just something I have thought of recently and wanted to know if it was against some unwritten rule or if someone has tried it.

oneounceload

EVERYTHING is negotiable - remember your LGS has sales tax to levy - are you considering that as part of his OTD price, realizing he doesn't get that money for him?

oneounceload

I reload most all of my ammo, so buying small quantities to get the necessary hulls or brass is easy.

You might ask a local gun club if they do bulk orders as well that you can get in on

moxie

I've tried it over the years and never found an LGS that could compete with catalog/offline, even factoring in shipping and sales tax. Can't even find a private FFL who can compete with online. Same applies to powder, bullets, and primers.

Jo6pak

I buy most of my ammo locally. My guys will usually come within 10-15%, and I consider that acceptable considering I'm supporting my neighbors.

44 AMP

Staff
Learned this lesson back in the 80s (before hazmat shipping charges)...

Wanted some .45ACP lead swc bullets (couple thousand) a buddy and I went in on it togther. Price at local store was $38 per thousand. Price from a mail order (pre internet days) was $22 per thousand, plus shipping.

Lead is HEAVY.

Delivered price, including shipping was $42 dollars per thousand, which we only found out AFTER delivery.

Now, this was a long time ago, but I think the principal still applies. Stores/dealers often order things to make up a truckload, and shipping costs get averaged/amortized, compared to direct shipping of single heavy items.

Various deals do exist, and yo might get a good one. On the other hand, you might not....

ScottRiqui

The era of "if it fits, it ships" postal rates has helped a lot. You can get 2,000 .45 ACP 230 gr bullets for $13 in shipping costs. That only adds $6.50 per thousand to the price, which is nowhere near the $20/thousand that shipping cost you back then.

johnbt

"1000 rounds of XYZ totaling $200. Shipping comes to $100"

You must have been buying some heavy ammo. A thousand rounds of 124 grain 9mm Swiss FMJ from J&G Sales cost me $200 plus $20 shipping from Arizona to Virginia. Each extra case added another $20.

John

buck460XVR

No one else has thought of this or tried it?

Of course they have. It's called shopping around or comparing prices. I do it all the time with ammo, reloading supplies and firearms. Sometimes it works out for the LGS, sometimes it works out for the online sale. One thing that doesn't work real well, is to walk into the LGS and tell them you can get it for X amount online first. This usually will set a negative tone. Just tell them you are planning on buying a large quantity of ammo somewhere and you are lookin' for the best price. Doin' it in person face to face is better than calling them on the phone also.