LFI...what to expect?

hbk

I'm taking LFI I over the next two weekends. Can anyone give me any information on what to expect as far as difficulty and interest level goes? What skills are learned and how difficult are they to master?

pax

hbk ~

I'm told the LFI-1 shooting material is pretty similar to FAS-2, both in the skill level expected of the students coming into the class and in how quickly the class moves through the material.

pax

hbk

Thanks a lot, pax, that eases my mind a great deal. Check your pms too! P95 carry, LFI is a class taught by Massad Ayoob. It deals with a lot of legal material and then there's a shooting component the next weekend.

KSFreeman

From memory, we did not shoot a lot in LFI-1. Maybe 400 rounds. You do his qualifier a lot, practice different holds, shoot from different positions, including prone, supine, and over head supine, shot a little at 100 yards. Call it a "sampler." :D

Lots of excellent lecture and discussion. In fact, this 40 hour class covered more on the law of self-defense than 3 years of law school and the bar exam (self-defense was one day lecture in torts, half-day in Crim Law, not covered at all in Crim Procedure I or II, and one day lecture in Adv. Crim Law I & II, covered in bar review but not asked on Indiana's bar exam '95).

The skill learned? How to stay out of trouble in Problem #1 or Problem #2. How difficult? It depends, how much training on shooting, fighting and lawyering you have. Can always learn more. :)

Class is well worth your money, highly recommended.

HMC

And bring lots of paper. I don't normally take a lot of notes, but in LFI-1 I went through an entire legal pad and had to start begging paper off one of the other students.

knightkrawler00

I will be at LFI-1 the next two weekends also. Over the last couple of weeks a friend of mine, that is a certified LFI instructor, has been going over the class with me beforehand so that I won't be so busy taking notes. What I have been shown is pretty much the same that will be covered in class and it won't be too difficult to follow along and Ayoob uses a lot of analogies that make it easy to understand. It should be a fun and edjucating two weekends.

goalie

I just got done taking an advanced stressfire course (2,000 rounds in 2 days) and was pretty impressed with the LFI shooting instructors that ran the class. I would never have thought it possible for me to get 6 good hits from the holster at 4 yards (strong hand only) in 2 seconds or do a double-Bill drill (6 rounds from the holster, reload, 6 more) at 7 yards with all A or B hits in under 6 seconds.

I particularly found the personal attention spent on your grip useful. It is amazing how much a change in grip can have when shooting ridiculously fast.