Lewis Lead remover

Master Blaster

Greetings I have recently been getting interested in bullseye shooting and have joined a good club. The club requires that members use lead ammo no jacketed. As a result after buying others reloads I have started to reload myself. Since I am now shooting mostly lead semi wadcutters I have been getting more lead fouling in my guns,
my 686 revolver more so than my 1911.

A couple of days ago an older shooter showed me a lewis lead remover, this consists of a cleaning rod with a special end that is caliber specific. Instead of a patch the lead remover uses a caliber specific sized end and a piece of brass screen which is run through the barrel and removes the lead.

My Friend swears by this tool, I was wondering if anyone else here has one of these?

It seems to work well but I fear that it will cause undue wear on my barrels.

I have also never heard it mentioned on the firing line with all of the discussions on gun cleaning and removing fouling I find this odd. Can you still get one. Is it a good tool to use, or have folks had problems???

[This message has been edited by Master Blaster (edited October 30, 2000).]

James K

Member In Memoriam
This forum seems to be mostly newbies who are ga-ga over auto pistols and think a revolver is something on Wheel of Fortune.

The Lewis lead remover works very well and I can assure you it will not hurt the barrel. If you are getting excessive leading, you might also consider a change in your bullet lubricant.

Jim

Jay Baker

I've been using Lewis Lead Removers for at least 20 years, on .45acp. 45 L.C., 44 Mag., .41 Mag., and .357 Mag./.38 Spec. Obviously, I shoot a lot of lead in those handguns. I've never had any problem with the barrels after using the L.L.R.

I know Hoppe's also made (makes??) a kit for lead removal using the same method.

Best of luck. J.B.

taco

I just use an old undersized brass brush wraped with Chore Boy brass mesh. When pulled through the barrel it will remove lead very quickly. Easy and cheap.

JoeHatley

I've been using one for years, on every used gun I buy. They work like a charm.

If you are getting a lot of leading everytime you shoot, especially with bullseye loads, post some data and I'll bet there is someone here who may be able to offer some tips.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Grayfox

Its my understanding that Hoppe's bought out Lewis. Same great tool, just a different name.

------------------
Roadkill on the information highway.

Secmat

Kleenbore lead remover patches work well for the light stuff.

------------------
"Those who dance are thought mad by those that don't hear the music."

Aha, Grayfox! That explains the Hoppes clone. My Lewis was the only one at the Academy and the other cadets loved it when I ran it through for them. It works great but nowadays I just attach Chore Boy (copper mesh sold as scouring pads at your grocer) to a used bronze brush and that works just as well.

Master Blaster

Thanks for the good info and the second opinions. I just acquired a dillon 550B and I am getting set up to load my own.

Hi Joe Hatley
My paper punchin lead was loaded by someone else, and they cast thier own bullets. I just bought a box of D&J semi wadcutters and will see if these leave less lead in the forcing cone.

Thanks again.

WESHOOT2

Try Bull-X or Oregon Trails Laser-Cast, too.

By the way, were you experiencing diminished accuracy?
I never clean a barrel unless accuracy disappears.....

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Poodleshooter

Also try Hoppe's Tornado (stainless steel,spiral pattern) brushes to scrub heavy lead deposits out. A little more convenient than the brass screens.

Robert Foote

Also have one and use it as needed. Would prefer less leading (working on it) but it saves a lot of work. Another useful item is a 'chamber brush' which is larger than a standard bore brush and will clean out the chambers better. Brownell's carries them.

------------------

Blue Heeler

If you are having leading problems with your 686 it is probably either the lead projectile or the powder weight.
I use commercially cast and coated 138gr BNWC projectiles driven by 4.2gr of WST.They are taper crimped (just barely)and are very accurate out to 50yds.I also have a LLR but don't need it with that load.

dreadnaught

Thanks for the tips! My Cowboy guns are lead magnets! I think my bullets are too soft too.

------------------
We're sorry. Your call cannot be completed as dialed. Please hang up and try again.