LEVERevolution ammo for .30-30

Anyone tried this stuff for thier .30-30 yet? Its made by Hornady. Its the first spitzer type bullet available for lever action guns; increases the range of the .30-30 because the Spitzer type bullet has less wind resistance than conventional flat-nose lever bullets. A test done by Chuck Hawk recorded an increase in muzzle velocity , tighter groups, and a 12' drop at 300 yards(which is a pretty big improvement). Its also available in .35 at the moment and will be available in other calibers commonly found in lever guns. Sounds very interesting.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/newproducts/market_111505/

Harley Quinn

That new round sounds good NRA was really pushing it

The makers of that new bullet say it even has new powder so the reloaders won't be able to duplicate the results. NRA really got a good pay day on that issue.
The big stroke. They had about 4 different articles on it in the March issue. Pretty soon we will get letters and asking for donations. LOL

One magazine talks about the lever being the new self defense gun of the police in the western towns of America, and another magazine wants you to buy the new poly tipped return to original configuration for that extra 200 ft per second at 100 yds. LOL. But instead of it being 180 grains it is 169 grains HMMM.

Barnum was right or was it W.C. Fields?

HQ

TPAW

It scares me! I'd stick to the old stuff. It did the job for generations and will continue to do it's job. Sooner or later, those tips will have a failure, nothing is perfect.

Tom Matiska

I like everything about it except the way some gun writers keep praising the 300 yard numbers. Looks like a solid 200 yard deer cartridge, maybe 250, but I'd get a BLR in a 308 if I want a 300 yard lever.

youp

Smoke and mirrors again? I jumped on last time and have a 7 WSM. RL-15 will get you to those velocities in a 30-30. At least when I buy a new and improved box of ammo I am only a few bucks into an experiment. Yea, I will succumb and try a box. They just have not been spied on the shelves yet. But when they are I'll get a box and let them rip.

Still the 30-30 model 94 seems to be best as an open sight number. 300 yards with an open sight? If you need that range my guess is you already have the proper gun to do it with.

FirstFreedom

I'm convinced at this point that this new ammo is approx. 10-15% of what it's cracked up to be. Slightly better ballistic coefficient? In cartridges where BC isn't going to matter until they are beyond their intended useful range? For .45-70 shooters shooting long range, I can see it. For .30-30s, .357 mags, & .44 mags, nah. Still, I'm sure I'll buy some. :)