Lever rifle choice?

STAGE 2

Three questions. First, are the cimarron/uberti 73 winchester reproductions safe for modern .45 long colt loads or cowboy only. If not, can the current winchester 94's handle such loads?

Third, what will be the performance difference if any between .45 long colt and .44-40 out of a 20" octagonal barrel.

SOSARMS

Have loaded a lot for my 94s as i have a lot of the offbeat calibers....Nowhere in my load books or in Win 94 manual does it state to use reduced loads....Have shot near max. load 44 mags in them without any ill effect.....Would say "you're good to go".........

gak

Wrong rifles, get a 92

I'd say yes to both questions (on whether the rifles can handle the loads you mention) and the .45 and .44-40 factory "cowboy" loads are roughly the same out of a 20" (non-cowboy handloads can favor one or the other depending on what you've done). ... But the main problem is that the questions are incomplete. I'd get neither model rifle but instead get a Win 92 or cheaper copy - superior firearm for these (and other) pistol rounds...the 92 superceded the 73 and is a stronger, more reliable action, and the 94 was designed for rifle rounds. Depending on budget, check out (from roughly least expensive to most):
  • Older Rossi 92 - up to 1999/2000 (?) these were imported by Interarms and often characterized by darker wood (esp in its later years, some almost black) and a front post site on (incorrectly by the way-for originality buffs) the front barrel band. Some of these older Rossis were inexplicably called 65s, especially in .44 Mag form.
  • Newer Rossi 92 - these were and are imported by EMF, Navy Arms and Legacy Sports International (LSI), and are so-stamped but still have a small A. or Amadaeus Rossi on some section of bottom-side metal. The LSI are sometimes referred to as Pumas-a throwback to an earlier Rossi moniker. Note: the LSI 92 is unique among recent year imports with its odd flip-lever safety atop the receiver. Rumor as of Spring '06 has it that, alas, the lawyers may have gotten to the other importers by now for any new production--at least EMF. Most Rossis have been available as carbines, octagonal short rifles or long rifles. New or old, Rossis are fine, reliable shooters; some are smoother out of the box than others--action wise--but are very easy or accepting of slicking-up action jobs.
  • Browning 92 or B92 - late 70's/early 80's limited production made in Miroku plant in Japan, considered by some to be the best. These are "carbines" and were in .44 Mag and .357 only.
  • Winchester 92 or 1892 - 2000's production-limited run(s), with tang safety, also Miroku plant; quality also seems to be exellent in these as well.
  • Armi Sport (through Taylors or Cimarron) - recently intro'd a 92 clone, including a takedown variant. Although regular carbines and octagonal rifles are advertised and in a variety of calibers (depending upon which importer), the focus of these seem to be on the takedown and the "modern" cowboy calibers - .45 and .357.
  • Winchester 92 (1892) original - getting very expensive (and never were made in .45 LC) - mostly for collecting/investment these days.

Most of the above manufacturers (except Browning) have made the 92 in .44-40 at some point and all of the non-originals except Browning have also made it in .45LC, including the more recent Winchesters.

Last edited:

Jim Watson

I would not put anything in a '73 that I wouldn't shoot in a SAA of the same age. It doesn't have to be tenderfoot "cowboy" loads but should not exceed SAAMI standard loads.
If you want to soup it up, get a '92 copy or a Marlin '94.

My personal preference is for the Browning 92. My brother has one and he won't give it to me (hey, I've given him numerous guns).

roscoe

The Winchester 94 is plenty strong for any .45 Colt load. Buffalo Bore, DoubleTap, etc. all specifically say it is OK.