Lever gun safe ammo question

asp

Just bought a lever gun in .44 magnum and feel comfortable that my 180 and 240 grain jacketed soft points are safe to use in the tube. (Both are flat-nosed.) However, I'm not so sure about the Winchester Platinum Tip HP's. The hollow points look large enough to prohibit setting off the primer in the adjacent round, but I would appreciate any input on using this particular round in a lever gun. Thanks in advance.

Personally, I'd not be concerned about any .44 Mag ammo in a lever gun. If it'll feed it should fire safely. There just shouldn't be enough recoil to create an in-tube detonation.

I've heard about such issues with real hot 45-70 loads and Buffalo Bore has now gone to small primers as a result. But .44 mag in a 7 lb gun? I'd really be surprised to hear of problems.
Rich

asp

Thanks Rich; I appreciate your input. Although this rifle is significantly lighter than a Marlin or Winchester, your advice is sound. BTW, I just bought the Win. Platinum Tip ammo today. First time I'd seen this 250 grain stuff. Looks like an all-business round.

asp-
Don't take it as gospel. I've shot 44 LG's a bit, but never owned one. There's others here with far more direct experience than me. We may find there's a well known (except to me) problem with some types of ammo.
Rich

treeprof

I've shot 240 gr Gold Dots, 240 gr SJHP and the Win 250 gr Partition Golds in my 1894ss and 1894p just fine. Like Rich, I don't think the recoil is stout enuf to cause probs anyway. Laying some loaded Gold Dots bullet-to-primer on a flat surface, it looks like there's not enuf of a case angle for the bullet to contact the primer. I don't have any Platinum Tip on hand, but in the Win ammo catalog it looks like the HP cavity in the Plat Tip is at least a bit smaller than in the Part Gold. However, Win lists rifle ballistics for the Plat Tip right along with the Part Gold, and if the ammo box doesn't have a warning on it, it's prob safe. I'd say call or email Win if you can't find anything more definitive.

asp

Thanks for the input treeprof. Bullet-to-primer resting on a flat surface, it appears that the bullet might contact the primer. I had decided to return the Plat. Tips but think I'll call/email Winchester before doing so. Not sure about W-Mart's ammo return policy, either.