Lever Action in 45 ACP?

ds1973

Hey just curious if anyone makes a lever action rifle in 45 ACP. Has anyone ever heard of this before? It would be nice to have a rifle that uses the same ammo as my Para-Ordnance P14-45..

gunmart

marlin makes a semi auto called the camp carbine that can be retro fitted to use your paraord mags.hope this helps

Gunslinger

I'm kind of a cowboy/lever action gun nut and don't know of any. Would it be possbile with the rimless case? Anyone?

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Grayfox

I doubt it would be possible. The reason the early lever actions (1800's) were never chambered in the very popular .45 Colt cartride was due to the way lever gun bolts are designed plus the fact that at that time the .45 Colts rim was too small to insure reliable extraction.
Since then the .45 Colt has been slightly redsigned to include a wider rim, which is why today's lever gun are chambered in this cartridge.
The rifles themselves however are still basicly the same as 100 years ago. Even USRA's redesign of the Winchester 94 some years ago made only very slight changes to the bolt.
While it may be possible the redesign the lever guns bolt face to work with rimless cartridges, I doubt if any company would spend the money to do so.
Also lever guns headspace on the cartridge rim. The barrel would have to be chambered to headspace rimless rounds on the case mouth.
Again, I just can't see it being cost effective when current lever guns in more traditional chamberings are still very popular.

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!

James K

Member In Memoriam
I think the main reason is that the rim is what hits the cartridge stop and keeps a round in the magazine while the previous one is being fed up to the chamber. This prevents jams, but gets tricky with a rimless cartridge.

Jim

ds1973

Thanks for the info guys.. Yeah I checked Marlin's web page before but their carbine link wasn't working so I didn't know they even made a carbine chambered in 45 acp. Never owned a lever action so I'm not familiar with them and what's out there.

------------------
The first step is registration, the second step is confiscation, the final step is subjugation.