Lever action .22? Uberti Silverboy opinions?

Venom1956

Hey guys I am looking at a lever action .22 I am open to suggestions of any make and model. But the Uberti Silver boy just caught my eye and I was curious if anyone has had good/bad experiences with them?

Which .22 LR lever would you recommend?

az_imuth

I think the Uberti's are so new that there aren't going to be many out there who own one. As for the others, you pretty much have Winchester, Marlin, Henry and Browning to choose from. All of them are good depending on your criteria. The Brownings and Henry's both have several models currently in production. The Marlin is supposedly in limbo at the moment due to problems occurring after Remington purchased the company. Hopefully they'll get things straightened out and back into production soon. The Winchesters have been out of production since around 2005, but can be found on the used market pretty easily. Here's a chart that is a bit difficult to read, but may be helpful.

Hawg

Henry Golden Boy. Smoothest lever action on the planet and accurate too.

023.jpg

Agreed, a henry .22 will be my next rifle purchase. $237 at my LGS... or it may have been around $250. Just the regular model, not the Golden Boy

Venom1956

I don't care for the 'Golden' receiver on the henry the standard one looks much better. How does the Marlin .22 Lever action compare to the Henry? My dad collects marlins and I'd think he'd very much like this one to add to his collection.

Henry or Marlin?

TriumphGuy

How does the Marlin .22 Lever action compare to the Henry?

Asking that question is like throwing a match into a gasoline can, but here's my own personal opinion on the matter having owned both rifles.

Firstly, as far as I'm concerned, Marlin hasn't existed since they were purchased by Remington. All of my opinions in that area are based on that fact. If you buy a Marlin, get a used one and get the oldest one you can find in decent condition. I think the Marlin 39A peaked in quality between around 1954 when they started using micro-groove rifling up through around the late 60's.

Both are American made if that matters to you.

Both are very accurate but the Marlin has a bit of an edge here.

The Henry has a smoother action when brand new, but a Marlin will smooth up considerably with some use. It will still have two distinct clicks as you work the lever each direction.

A used Marlin 39A in good condition will cost you more than a new Henry. On the other hand, a Marlin will appreciate in value but a Henry will never be worth more than it was when it was brand new.

Many people forget that a 39A is a takedown rifle. You can split the receiver in half to make for easier transportation and much easier cleaning.

Most Marlins you will find will have a pistol grip, though there have been small runs of a "Mountie" version with a straight stock and a shorter barrel. Jump on one of those if you see it.

The Marlin is made of steel and walnut, the Henry has a potmetal receiver and some plastic parts. Both are well built, but I have my doubts about whether the Henry will hold up as long. They haven't been around long enough to know if they'll still be shooting in 60 years, but I have no doubts that I'll be able to hand down my old Marlins to my kids, who can pass them down from there.

I'd buy another Henry for the right price if I wanted a rifle to bang around in the woods, keep in the truck, or as a first rifle for a youngster. They're good shooters and made at home. If I wanted an heirloom, it would be the Marlin over just about anything else.

And now it's time to sit back and watch the fireworks while everyone says that I'm just a Marlin snob.

jlbpa

I have a new model 39a with the safety. The trigger sucks. Very stiff making it difficult to shoot accurately. Also it misfires some. I bought it for precision backyard vermin extermination because the long barrel makes it more quiet and it's ability to cycle short, long, longrifle. However with the trigger so stiff and the tendency to misfire I'm better off using my marlin glenfield model 20 or my 22-250 with lead bullets and reduced loads. I'd look at the brownings to see if they have a decent trigger because the marlin does not.