Lever action .17hmr by Ruger

jfrey123

Hey guys,

I was out rabbit plinkin' w/ my Remington 597 .22LR and started contemplating the .17hmr. It seems that I quite enjoy plinkin' rabbits and other small animals who roam these Nevada deserts. That's what got me thinking that a .17hmr might be a fun choice.

I checked out one at Sportsman's today (more like a few). They've got one modeled after my old Marlin 25N .22LR, but I wouldn't want to wait for the left handed bolt to be ordered. I then checked out the Ruger lever action that is chambered for this .17hmr round and think I fell in love. So smooth, so satisfying with it's firm click click action. I was also jazzed that it's the only .17hmr I've seen with open sights (I know, I know, getting a scope, but I like the option).

Now my friends, the question is this, and I ask those who own a .17hmr: Is it really worth it? I've read the ballistics https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=1a3bef50b315695949a89271cde89010&page=shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=e4c1104b0d6d112d2b80155f75b83ff2 and it shows an 8.5in drop at 200 yards for the .17 grain.... I thought this baby was supposed to be flat shooting? Or do I just suck at reading charts?

Would you owners of a .17hmr recommend one over your trusted .22LR? OR do I buy a scope for both my .22LR's and shut up about it?

Lonesome_Dove

A .17 HMR is a necked-down .22magnum more suited to medium game (raccoons, coyotes, etc.). 8.5" ain't bad at 200 yds, since a .22LR would drop a LOT more. If you want to shoot rabbits at 200yds. then get the .17, but it'll do a lot more damage to small game at .22 distances.

Jack O'Conner

I bought a new Ruger 96 in 17 last June for $275. through a shop that advertises in GunsAmerica.com I paid the same amount for a 96 in 44MAG about 5 years ago.

Both carbines fit me well. I like the slick trigger and very short throw lever action. The magazine is serviceable but don't drop it on anything hard like pavement. Looks like it would break easily.

My 17 will shoot a dime-sized group at 75 yards. It was used successfully on two dog town shoots. I'm taking it with me to Pennsylvania next month for grey squirrel hunting.

The scope I mounted is an economy 3X9 Simmons. All this accurasy for low pricing! The elitists with their high dollar Kimber rifles and Leupolds can only dream of such accurasy.
Jack

FirstFreedom

If it's flat you want, get a .223!

But the .17 HMR is a good round - make sure you're not reading the ballistic charts for .17 mach 2 - different round entirely. The .17 HMR stays pretty flat out to about 150, then begins dropping more rapidly. I recommend a .17 or .223 as a mid-range varmint round (or both). If you do get a .17 HMR, why not just get a Remingon 597 mag in .17 HMR - it's semi-auto and you're already familiar with the rifle....

I got one I bought not that long ago. Put a scope on it had it bore sighted and haven't even shot it yet. Project got put on the back shelf. Maybe this winter I'll take it out and sight it in and shoot a few cans with it.

Hoverboy26

I own a Savage 9319 BVVS, and I love it.

http://www.savagearms.com/93r17bvss.htm

Bolt-action, but accurate as H-E-double tooth picks! :D I have a Cabela's 3-9x40 tactical scope on it, and it is sighted in to hit dead center at 75 yrds. It is very accurate, and cheap to shoot! It has some zip, too with 2550 fps. I would get one for sure, it makes rabbit and prarie dog hunting tons more fun, especcially if you are used to using a .22.

-RC