Lever : .357 vs. .44 vs. 45

roy reali

I am going to buy a lever action carbine. I live in the Nevada high desert, I can't think of a gun that fits the image of this place better. I guess I watched one too many episodes of Bonanza as a kid. Anyway, it would go well with my single action revolver.

The main purpose of this gun is to have fun. I plan to use it for plinking and the occasional vermin dispatching. I do like to explore, so I would also use it for protection. The biggest creature that might cause a problem around here is the cougar. I know that sighting are rare and encounters even more rare. But, you never know.

There is a gun store not too far from here that has rack of full of all kinds of lever action rifles and carbines. They have new ones and used ones. They seem to have one in every chambering. I have spotted several each in .357 magnum, .44 magnum, and .45 Colt. I can't decide which cartridge to settle on.

Here is my question.

Which of the chamberings mentioned above do you think would be the most versatile? Like I said, plinking and small game shooting will be the use seen most by the gun. While protection is not a high priority, you never know.

I espically would like to here from folks that have experience with any of these.

Thanks in advance.

ligonierbill

What caliber is the revolver? In the day, you could have a 44-40 in rifle and handgun and only pack one type of ammo. Beyond that, go with the big bore. I like .45, but I load my own. If you use "store bought", the .44 will probably be easier to feed.

ohen cepel

I would go with the .357 for your needs. Very versatile, good small game cartridge with .38 wadcutters in it (if your rifle feeds them ok, if not light load lead bullets will also work well) and it will be the cheapest to feed.

Get some HOT heavy .357's and it will serve you well in the defense area.

My second choice would be the .44. With SPC's in it it's also a versatile rifle but will kick it bit more and be more expensive to feed. More power, but comes at a cost.

The .45LC is a great classic, but unless you reload I wouldn't go that way.

mapsjanhere

I'd still go with the 357. For your intended application, the greater muzzle energy of the 44 has no real advantage, and the heavier bullets will mangle your small game even more than a 357 hit. Unless you plan to fend off bears, the 38/357 caliber also gives you more choices to load for the application.

kraigwy

My '94 Marlin is also for fun and plinking. AND IT IS FUN. I like the 38/357. I cast bullets and reload, I have tons of both 38 & 357 brass. It gets my vote. I can shoot it as cheap as 22s.

My number one target is probably shooting the heads off dandelions. Even in 38 it has plenty of power for killing dandelions.

SR420

I like the .357 Mag in a lever carbine, but it may not be enough to meet your needs.
Consider a Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun loaded with Hornady LEVERevolution ammuntion.

jmortimer

.45 Colt - Bigger and better than the other two and operates at lower pressure and has as much power as the .44 mag. You can load to what ever power lever you want and don't have to waste time with the .38/.357
switch-a-roo. The only reason to get the other two is to match an existing hand gun. Otherwise bigger bullet at lower pressure at the same power is a better bullet.

mavracer

I've got all three and can tell you they are all very capable of doin' what you ask the 44 and 45 will be more versitile especially with you reloadin'.
My Marlin 357 won't feed 38s very well my Rossi 44mag does fine with specials.
one real great thing with all is cast bullits @ 1000fps from a 20-24" barrel barely require hearing protection.;)

smee78

I have all 3 levers and it all comes down to what you want to shoot. From what you describe, your needs will be met by all 3 guns but what is your favorite cal to shoot. You reload so that is not a problem that would need to be addressed as far as ammo cost/avail and you can load the ammo as hot or mild as you want. In the end its all a personal choice.

PetahW

I've owned/shot/hunted with .357, .44 Mag, & .45 Colt (Browning, Marlin & Rossi) leverguns over the last 9 years.

As of this past Winter, the .44 & .45 are sold, as I've decided to keep only the .357 (a Rossi M92), since I find it the most versitile for my use. YMMV.

Drummer101

How can you tell if your .357 lever will feed 38s? Other than just putting some in the tube of course.

Marlin says ob there website that theirs feeds 38's.

I am thinking about a lever right now and I am leaning for the 44 because it is a little bigger but once you start re-loading (you said you do) the price difference does not mean that much.

Ralph Allen

Roy,
Since you do reload, cost factor vs fun factor is now equal. I have a Marlin 1894CB in 45 colt. Strong enough action to load quite a bit hotter loads. This gun is flat out FUN to shoot! Need to stay with .453-454 size bullets for optimal accuracy. Tried some 300+ grain HP/SP loads, and couldn't close the group down below 1.5 in @ 50 yds. With 255 gr lead and my favorite brew of Blue Dot, I can achieve .75 @ 50 yds. Killed the cowboy factor by putting a mini red dot on the rifle. Like I said, fun is the name of the game here. Doesn't hurt to also know, that at close range with the proper loads, nothing you will come across in the Nevada outback will leave you undergunned. Happy Trails, Ralph

mavracer

Well which is more powerful then?
It seems like all of them would be in the range of powerful enough to take medium to small sized game.
In the Marlin 94 and Winchester 92 (and Clones) 44 mag and 45 Colt can be loaded nasty 300gr+ at 1500fps thats medium to large game power out to 75yards or so.
but ya they'd all be ok on deer to 100 the big ones just do it easier.