Level of disassembly for Cerakote process?

It would require lots of nerve to consider just the frame components in my Sig P6. I’ve only changed the mainspring. That was tedious and fairly challenging.

Video: “Sig Sauer P6/P225 Detailed Assembly” depicts only what happens with the frame.

@ Do Cerakote procedures require the Slide’s internal parts to also be disassembled?:confused:

Last edited:

Forte S+W

Professional cerakote application typically calls for complete disassembly, with every little part removed, followed by thorough degreasing, and finished off with bead-blasting to give the cerakote a porous surface to adhere to.
Some folks will cut corners and leave parts inside, but this can be a costly mistake, especially when it comes to moving parts.

Forte S+W: That excellent video never depicted any parts of the Slide being removed beforehand-only the frame.

It was naiive hope that exceptions can be made. Google revealed the procedures such as degreasing, bead-blasting as part of the required "preflight".
Altogether it seems like a huge amount of work involved.

FrankenMauser

Full disassembly is recommended.
Leaving parts installed has two major risks:
1. Locking them in place, which may impact proper function or make future repairs/upgrades difficult.
2. Improper degreasing. Parts still installed are parts holding oil. Even if the parts are in an area not intended to be coated, oil can creep and contaminate other areas - especially during bead blasting, which may permanently trap the oil.

TunnelRat

Depending on the pistol there are almost always guides that will walk you through the process. Were you planning on doing the cerakote yourself?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses.

Due to this excellent video "Sig P6/P225 Detailed Assembly" I somehow found the nerve to disassemble it last night--all internal frame parts--and then gradually reassemble. Put about forty rds. through the gun today.

Note-this was just Practice, so that it will be easier to do it again in early January, right before the buddy has time to do it.

The guy who will do the work is Not new at this (not a bubba: former USMC air traffic controller, now a nurse with the VA), does the acetone parts soak, bead-blast, etc, baking.

wild cat mccane

He might not be new, but Cerakote either comes with ceramic in it or not. Either way, it's not an excellent finish.

At the end, you're better off with other finishes...

A hard chrome is a light blue silver and will look brand new in 10 years.

Maybe you know the level of abrasion cerakote (won't) take. If not, a thought.

Last edited: