Leupold Vari-X II vs. Vari-X III - differences?

Dave3006

Can anyone tell me if there is much of a real difference in performance between the two. I am going to buy a 3x9x40 for a Winchester M70. I can't decide between the two. The purpose will be general purpose and deer hunting in California. There seems to be about a $150 difference between the two. $250 vs $400.

Thanks.

M16

There are two big differences. One is the lens coatings. The other is that the Vari-x III has click adjustments. If you can afford it go with the Vari-X III although there you can't go wrong either way. Also I think that most Vari-X III's have adjustable objectives.

CMOS

A Leupold tech Rep told me, regarding the lens coatings, that "the difference between the X-II and the X-III is about 10 minutes more visibility at dusk with the X-III".

Aside from that, as previously mentioned, the X-III's have 1/4 MOA adjustments.

CMOS

------------------
NRA? Good. Now join the GOA!

The NRA is our shield, the GOA will be our sword.

PJR

I own two of each and the Vari-X III is a little brighter and a little clearer but the difference is very small. It depends on the type of hunting whether this is important.

I didn't care for the non-click adjustments on the Vari-X II at first but I got used to them.

The Leupold website goes into this in more detail and might provide more info:
http://www.leupold.com/home.html

Another major difference between the two is that the tube of the Vari-X II is comprised of several parts. The tube of the Vari-X III is one piece construction, making it stronger (and it makes weatherproofing easier). The Vari-X II must meet "4 frange and the Vari-X III 0-2 frange tolerances where 1 frange is 1/2 wave." Placement of the reticle is at the end of the tube in the Vari-X II and on the erector tube (where the adjustment knobs are) on the Vari-X III. And yes, the lens coating on the Vari-X III is superior.

tuc22

I've just sent my Vari-X II off to Leupold to get target knobs installed. They will allow 1/4 MOA adjustable clicks. You can get them done for $81. These knobs will extend out from scope about an inch.

AZTrooper

I had a VariX II 2-7 on my .243 for 20 years before I even knew that there was a difference. Killed deer, antelope, javelina, coyotes, and a bunch of jackrabbits (some at pretty long ranges). The scope never failed me even at dusk, etc. I now own and use some high dollar scopes including a Leupold Mark IV M1 and a Bausch and Lomb Tactical 10X. But when I bought another .243 for my son I bought another VariX II. The only thing I did different was I bought a 4-12. Some of those jackrabbits were so far that the crosshairs on the 2-7X covered them completely so I wanted a little more magnification. Now that I've used the 4-12 a little I wish I'd bought a 3-9. The VariX III's are definitely better if you have the money, but for hunting I save the money and spend it on ammo. The VariX II's are excellent scopes, too. Just a thought.

CMOS

tuc22, I sort of did the sam thing with my X-II. I had Leupold install a target turret only for the elevation.

I figure once the windage is set, you're more likely to only adjust elevation in the field...

CMOS

------------------

tuc22

CMOS,
In windy conditions at 200 yards or more windage is a factor. Comeups are rather simple for range, but wind is far trickier. That's the reason I went with windage adjustments.

bruels

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tuc22:
I've just sent my Vari-X II off to Leupold to get target knobs installed. They will allow 1/4 MOA adjustable clicks. You can get them done for $81. These knobs will extend out from scope about an inch.[/quote]

Premier Reticles put target turrets and clicks on my Vari-X II for $77.50 which included shipping back to me. The click adjustment is a little under .2 MOA.

tuc22

Hmmm, didn't know that there was a Premier Reticles that installed target turrets. My only concern might be that .2 MOA creates some new additional math whereas 1/4 MOA is easy to figure. Leupold, I'm sure, will do a fine job.

CMOS

Would the installation of the Premiers do anything to the Leupold warranty?...

CMOS

------------------