Leupold Scout scope mount for Rem. M-7.

Alfadog

Leupold's current catalog lists a "Scout" scope mount for the Remington Model 7. It is listed as being suitable only for rifles with factory iron sights, so I think that it uses the factory rear sight holes in the barrel. Has anyone tried this mount? Did it require gunsmithing to install? How did it stand up to recoil? How high does it mount the scope?

byrdman

I havent tried the Leupold mount, but it sounds like it is a variation of the mounts Burris and Savage use.

If you are looking for a scout mount check out www.beast-enterprises.com, they offer a real solid looking mount that can be fitted to most any bolt action rifle.

DeBee

Although I haven't seen the Leupold mount, I do know that the Burris has to have two holes drilled and tapped in your barrel.

It would be a significant break through if the Leupold mount installed directly to the front action ring and rear sight holes... I hope this is the case. Tell us if you find out for sure...

Better yet, would be a Picatinny rail system employing the front ring holes and rear sight holes AND also provide a separate rear base. That way, you could pop a traditional type scope off another rifle and pop it on your Scout and be back in business (after sight in).

I'm trying to work out such a mount based on the Warne system for my Winchester 70 project...

Alfadog

The following is a response I received to the same question on another bulletin board:

I got an e-mail response from Leupold about their Scout mount and I'm sorry to say it has yet to go into production. They estimate another 2-4 months.